Do it yourself food article

lol, well, im guessing this batch is going to the garbage instead of the fishes!!!! have to make another batch someday soon

"I apply it into and across a section of eggcrate lighting grid lying on the cookie sheet. This quickly and easily casts the food into perfect, portion-sized cubes, which then can be flash frozen. After a couple of hours, the food is solid and can be extracted from the grid and placed into more convenient plastic bags for later use."

Very cool, how do you "flash freeze" the stuff? :confused:

"easy. Anyone with a commercial fishing vessel has a flash freezer they can use!"

aahaahaahaahaa!!! :lol: I'll just walk-on over too my next door neighbors house, and see if he has one in his back yard.

Here is what im thinking of putting together.

I have 12 wrasses and 3 tangs, 6 chromis, a clown and 2 gobies.

4oz vitachem- 4oz selcon- 1lb whole uncooked shrimp- 1lb of uncleaned silversides- 1 cup freeze dried cyclopeeze- 10 sheets nori- spirulina pellets- ulva- gracilaria- uni- scallops- clams- squid- mussel- broccoli- zucchini- leaf lettuce- spinach- krill- mysis- brine- sardine meal- salmon roe- garlic.

I understand i blend the seafoods, but how do i add the vegetable and algea? Should I just blend it up with everything or cut it into small pieces?

I'm definately not the expert, but there were some things I wished I hadn't mixed with the rest in a blender. For me, the algae was best left "shredded" so it was bigger, along with a few other things.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11897822#post11897822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefNAZOut
4oz vitachem- 4oz selcon- 1lb whole uncooked shrimp- 1lb of uncleaned silversides- 1 cup freeze dried cyclopeeze- 10 sheets nori- spirulina pellets- ulva- gracilaria- uni- scallops- clams- squid- mussel- broccoli- zucchini- leaf lettuce- spinach- krill- mysis- brine- sardine meal- salmon roe- garlic
I would leave out the broccoli, zucchini, lettuce, and spinach because I am not a fan of terrestrial plants for marine fish. The uni is also questionable since you don't list any triggers. Although, it might be useful if some of those wrasses are big bruisers.

alright ill leave out the broccoli, zucchini, lettuce. Im going to keep the spinach though, ill leave out the uni too. Are there any other algeas that would be benificial? And also where can I find them like the ulva and gracilaria? Thanks man.

I routinely see a variety of live macroalgae offered for sale at the local fish store. You could buy some, use a portion, and grow the rest out in a refugium for harvesting for food later.

Back