Do you interfere?

I was in Petco the other day, and the store help was talking to a woman about the Yellow Tang. Woman goes, we only have a 29 gallon tank, and the store employee goes, this fish will be just fine in there, perfect size tank for this fish. I said, wrong, that fish (mind you I don't have a tang yet) needs at minimum 4' tank, preferably 5 or 6'. I said, sure, at 3" as it is now, it'd be ok in a 29. When it gets to be 6-8" it won't be.

I think she got the Tang anyhows, but I digress.
Let's be totally honest though, the people who care don't buy their fish from petco anyway. Some people you just can't reach, and the type of people who go to petco for advice and saltwater fish aren't the type who would believe you even when told

Let's be totally honest though, the people who care don't buy their fish from petco anyway. Some people you just can't reach, and they type of people who go to petco for advice and saltwater fish aren't the type who would believe you even when told

I just got a pair of Occy clowns from Petco. Made the guy feed them, and bought 2 who were always together, ate like pigs. Just finished Tank Transfer's and are in the main QT tank for another 3 weeks.

Plan definitely wasn't to buy them at Petco though. Another place, is way overpriced near me, at $60 per clownfish (for example a 2" Hippo Tang is $199).

imo, if you want to be a "helper" and save the world, start somewhere other than the LFS.

I think if you have a helper attitude you usually start where and when you recognize a problem that you may have the ability to assist in rectifying.

I just got a pair of Occy clowns from Petco. Made the guy feed them, and bought 2 who were always together, ate like pigs. Just finished Tank Transfer's and are in the main QT tank for another 3 weeks.

Plan definitely wasn't to buy them at Petco though. Another place, is way overpriced near me, at $60 per clownfish (for example a 2" Hippo Tang is $199).
$199 for a hippo tang???? What is this magical land you live in? I'm in Kansas and just got one for $44.99

The difference though is you went into petco knowing what you needed to look for, how to judge the health of the fish, and already knew how to care for them. Anyone who goes to petco staff for advice needs to reassess their source

$199 for a hippo tang???? What is this magical land you live in? I'm in Kansas and just got one for $44.99

The difference though is you went into petco knowing what you needed to look for, how to judge the health of the fish, and already knew how to care for them. Anyone who goes to petco staff for advice needs to reassess their source

It's Just Fish in Newark, DE.

Blonde Naso Tang is $369.99. They have an Emperor Angel for $459.99.

no ones talking about saving the world, were talking about the spreading of bad advise

this is a hobby of "opinions"!!! your opinion on what is good advice, might be someone else opinion of bad advice....imo, you could give people more help at a local soup kitchen than at a LFS. why not hangout at the supermarket and advise people against buying veal becauce of its mistreatment? saving people from the "bad" LFS is not a good practice, imo.

Not sure, but I don't recall seeing any of the fish gone :) I stop in there once or twice a week after I drop my daughter off at camp.

Meh, I read it in one of my various aquarium books. Mandarins and other "hopping" fish shouldn't be put in anemone tanks for fear of being stung to death.

CHSUB, why would saving people from a "bad" LFS be "not a good practice"? I'm not talking about saving the world. I'm just talking about saving a fish, whether that be something as "insignificant" as a neon tetra, or as gorgeous as a Goniopora. The hobby's already being bashed by animal rights groups for killing too many fish. I don't have any evidence, but I would bet money that if we took a look at how many fish die in saltwater aquariums, the vast majority would probably be owned by newcomers. Is it not our responsibility, whether motivated by self interest or philichthyopy and philanthropy, to prevent this from happening by warning people away from bad LFS?

I'm really glad I read this thread. Next time I have to decide between the mutually exclusive options of feeding the hungry and taking two minutes out of my day to offer a well-intentioned bit of advice upon overhearing someone's public conversation as I wander down the gravel aisle I'll know what to do.
-.-

If I hear advice that is just going to cost someone a little wasted money, I keep quiet unless the LFS employee walks away leaving the customer alone near me. Then I will usually just mention that it was not really good advice. If it's something that will cause creatures to suffer I will make it a point to let the person know that they are getting bad advice and should look elsewhere for it.

I think a LFS has a responsibility to give good advice if they choose to be in this line of business. This would be for the sake of the customers money and the well being of the animal. The biggest issue is that many new comers have never heard of Reef Central and instead their only trusted source comes from their LFS. If a LFS clearly presents wrong advice to a customer about an animals well being "NOT LED VS T5'' than I'd personally feel obligated to say something. I think educating the LFS employee would help better his/her business as well.

Opinion is very subjective , all I'm saying is if I was selling a Mandarin to a customer with a anemone and some nobody walked uptelling me I'm doing the wrong thing.....well let's just say you be leaving the store.

I enjoy butting right in and telling the potential customer exactly what I think right in front of the clerk. After all I am the customer and what the heck do I have to worry about. Besides they all know me and know I'll do exactly that, so they wouldn't ever say anything in ear shot of me anyway.

I'm really glad I read this thread. Next time I have to decide between the mutually exclusive options of feeding the hungry and taking two minutes out of my day to offer a well-intentioned bit of advice upon overhearing someone's public conversation as I wander down the gravel aisle I'll know what to do.
-.-

that's funny!!! however, if it were me that was receiving your self-proclaimed expert advice, i would tell you to, "go save the whales, buddy!!!"

I told a woman not to buy any fish, particularly the nemos she wanted. Their lips were half rotted off. They were too cute for her to pass up though.

Less than 5 minutes later the employee asked me if the bulb he was recommending would be enough for her anemone. It was a NO t5. I asked what kind of anemone and she said she didn't know, it came with the tank, on the background. I simply said yes, it's enough and walked away before my head exploded. Can't make this stuff up.

If I am in a store that gives bad advice to someone who seems they care enough I simply tell them they are getting bad advice. I don't visit those stores often so I couldn't care less if they ask me not to return. Not everyone/business needs to be my friend.

And by bad advice I mean tang in a fishbowl, sps in a tank they are buying at the same time, or simply wrong advice like... 2+2=8. I'm not going to tell someone not to cycle a tank with a fish unless the fish is covered in disease. They don't listen anyways.

I will say something if I can figure out a way to politely interrupt. And if I do decide to do that, I will always start with some kind of an "I" statement. Ex let's say someone is wanting to put a tang in a 29 gallon, I would say something along the lines of " when I first started and was considering my stocking options, I looked into a hippo tang as well but decided it wasn't a good option for me because they need a huge tank when they get larger. Did you know that they get a foot long?! My friend put one in a 75 a few years ago and that thing turned out to be a huge jerk and he had to tear the tank apart to catch him." When I phrase things in that way, people generally don't get offended. I will usually come up with some story that is entirely made up on the spot that would illustrate the point that I am trying to make. The manager of the petsmart and petco come and talk to me everytime I'm in there and ask me questions

Meh, I read it in one of my various aquarium books. Mandarins and other "hopping" fish shouldn't be put in anemone tanks for fear of being stung to death.

CHSUB, why would saving people from a "bad" LFS be "not a good practice"? I'm not talking about saving the world. I'm just talking about saving a fish, whether that be something as "insignificant" as a neon tetra, or as gorgeous as a Goniopora. The hobby's already being bashed by animal rights groups for killing too many fish. I don't have any evidence, but I would bet money that if we took a look at how many fish die in saltwater aquariums, the vast majority would probably be owned by newcomers. Is it not our responsibility, whether motivated by self interest or philichthyopy and philanthropy, to prevent this from happening by warning people away from bad LFS?

there are places to express your opinion, i just don't think you should do it in someone else business, imo!!!

As an animal advocate my entire life, I will always speak my mind for the benefit of an animal's health and well being over someone's selfish pursuits. I try to be as respectful as I can, but it isn't as if the animal in question has any say or control over its life.

There is nothing sadder than being politically correct and allowing animals to suffer without even saying a word. Just because some people refuse to take advice, doesn't mean we should stop trying to make a difference in this world.

Back