Does anyone do carbon dosing?

Jimbo327

I'm still thinking of how to set up my future tank. There are just so many choices.

I want to do a methanol carbon dosing, but that doesn't seem very popular here in So Cal. Was initially thinking of using a roller filter, so I don't have to change socks. But it looks like the bacteria will clog up the filter pretty quickly, and I assume would stink as it is pulled out of the water by the roller.

Seems reefer around here prefer chaeto, refugium, and other methods more.

I want to carbon dose because I think that can support a lot of fish and their poop.

Advice needed.

I use to do it and learned over time that it only slows down growth and holds back color potential.

I dose Red Sea NoPOx and it's working fine for me. I also have a ton of siporax in the sump which I think is necessary to support a good population of bacteria. It's pretty easy to manipulate Nitrate level by changing the dosing. Probably Po4 as well but I don't test it very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you just dose it directly into the sump? And the bacteria stays in the siporax? And does the carbon dosing make you have to change your filter a lot?

I dose it into my overflow the water goes into my filter socks before it's gets to the siporax. It doesn't cause bacteria to clog the filter socks. If I overdosed it might.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back