does anyone know the best way 2 get the purple stuff off the glass?

teena

I can clean the front with that magnet cleaner. but theres purple on the back it looks the same color as the rocks, but I cant just rub it off with a cloth. its on there like paint.

Its coraline algae. You can scrape it off with a store bought scraper( waste of money imo) Or you can use a razor blade or an old credit card. Personally I use a stainless steel spatula that I found in my kitchen. It works better than anything kent makes.

If it is coraline algae, I keep mine on the back glass. If you really want it off use a stainless steel razor blade. :D Michael Richards

But then Its floating in the tank,& the fish eat it. is that ok? how come the snails dont get it off.7 why is it just on the back?

Coralline algae forms hard plates of calcium carbonate that are too hard for snails to get off -- if YOU can't scrub it off, there's no way a snail can get it off with it's soft mouth. Coralline is "good" algae in that takes up nutrients, inhibiting the growth of some of the uglier macro algae (hair algae, etc.). For this reason, a lot of people just let it grow on the back glass. If you really don't like it, you can scrape it with a razor blade or something similar. I've never heard of fish eating loose coralline, but if they do, I doubt that it would hurt them.
FWIW,
Mariner

no its not that I dont like it. it blends in with my rocks, i just didnt no if it needed 2 come off or it was best 2 stay on. is every thing ok if the salt is getting on everything on the top. glass covers, powerhead, pump. have i got something turned up 2 high/

Back