Does Silicone Bond to Acrylic

Stick's just fine, just doesn't hold the weight of the water. It will easily lift up the weight of a 40G breeder, but won't keep the tank from coming apart at the seams. Fine for use inside a tank.

umm - That's the whole point of this thread; it doesn't stick to acrylic

From a chemistry perspective, you're right on the money. In theory, the siloxane group of a silicone polymer can form a bond with the hydroxyl group on the methacrylate polymer. In practice, it seems that this isn't a very strong bond, and is far weaker than the siloxane-silicon-dioxide bond formed with glass.

Epoxy is quite different, and appropriately cleaned acrylic surfaces will bond incredibly securely with an appropriately cleaned glass surface using this compound. I glue my overflows with epoxy for this reason - not sure why very few others do.

I'm sure because silicone is the default agent for making tanks, so they assume it will work.

What kind of epoxy do you use?

From a chemistry perspective, you're right on the money. In theory, the siloxane group of a silicone polymer can form a bond with the hydroxyl group on the methacrylate polymer. In practice, it seems that this isn't a very strong bond, and is far weaker than the siloxane-silicon-dioxide bond formed with glass.

Epoxy is quite different, and appropriately cleaned acrylic surfaces will bond incredibly securely with an appropriately cleaned glass surface using this compound. I glue my overflows with epoxy for this reason - not sure why very few others do.

You won't find a pro builder that does that. They use a UV catalyzed polymer of unknown (unpublished) type for structural bonding glass acrylic/pvc. It is all very proprietary. If you can do it at home, you are not using the right stuff.

Silicone is fine with acrylic for inside the tank applications. I would imagine epoxy would be also. If you are building outside the tank, use glass and silicone. There is no point whatsoever in doing otherwise. None.

I'm sure because silicone is the default agent for making tanks, so they assume it will work.

What kind of epoxy do you use?

Generally I use a 3M 25 minute cure low viscosity 2-part epoxy. The specific product is Scotch-Weld DP125.

What I've found is that breaking the bond requires breaking the glass, the acrylic, or both (in other words, the glue and bond is stronger than the materials). One heck of a lot stronger than silicone bonding of glass, but not nearly as flexible (it definitely wouldn't be appropriate for a vibration-resistant application).

Back