Does this still work for a saltwater mixing container?

Protandrous niña

Last summer, I grew out some baby tilapia in a 30 gallon plastic trash can. This was the trash can's only usage. My question is: can I use this trash can for mixing/storing salt water, or would the "tilapia juice" have been absorbed by the plastic, creating a slow nitrogen release situation?
Thanks for any advice!

Tilapia juice? Did you make fish sauce (liquid anchovy) in in this can?
Since garbage cans are not food grade, the plastic go into it is not stringent, can absorb and release various things into the water stored in it. The "tilatia juice" is of no concern. We use trash can to mixed water forever. There seem to be no significant immediate concern using these type of practices.
I would not drink or use water stored in these container to mix human baby formulas, but for animals and fish tank, it would be OK IMO. An organic chemist may tell have different opinion.

Okay, thanks! I'll probably just wash out the trash can really good before using it.
Tilapia juice? Did you make fish sauce (liquid anchovy) in in this can?
Haha no, I was thinking about the tendency of tilapia to make the water they are living in less than clean, per se.😁

Yes, they are filthy fish.
They are very beautiful and tasty fish in the wild. It is the fish keeper who are abusing them and force them to live in filthy condition. These condition cause them to grow deformed and horrible unhealthy to consume.
They have no choice what so ever

They are very beautiful and tasty fish in the wild. It is the fish keeper who are abusing them and force them to live in filthy condition. These condition cause them to grow deformed and horrible unhealthy to consume.
They have no choice what so ever
Oh, i didn’t mean they were not nice fish. By filthy, I meant they produce a lot of waste.

Back