Techniques for solving problems.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
1. running carbon. Personally I don't EXCEPT if I have a pollution problem, a death, a couple of corals spitting at each other [invisibly, but they're shriveling up.] It sops up biochemicals. The downside is --- if left in there too long it will start to break down and slowly release every bad thing it stored. Never forget a carbon bag. A few weeks, no more.

2. Polyfilter: this is for a chemical problem of an 'I dunno what' variety. It can also absorb metals. If junior stored the TV remote in your tank for an hour, yes, a sample strip of polyfilter to see if there IS a problem (it turns color, and can be diagnostic of what the contaminant is) ---and more polyfilter if it looks to have found a problem.

3. extra salt---because if you can;t solve your problem by carbon or filter, and you know something's really wrong---moving what's alive and still healthy to a spare container of new salt water with everything back to original balance is a good move. Be aware salt water has to mix until crystal clear (a strong mixing pump is a good thing to have on hand) before its safe to use, but being in clean water with a simple floss filter (changed fanatically often) is not a bad situation, even with bare bottom and no rock, or few rocks---compared to being in bad water. This is a go-to for when everything has gone badly off, or when junior has dumped milk and cookies into the tank. If it';s an idiot guest with a martini, don't panic---vodka is not going to hurt it. Just retrieve the olive. And I' m not kidding. Your fish and corals will probably will be fine.

DO be careful with glass cleaner, furniture polish or oils, and scented room sprays or candles. A week after week spritzer armed with ammonia cleaner, or antimicrobial scrubs or scented candles or sprays is a must-have discussion. Also beware of leaving fishfood in sight----especially with children. Helping daddy and mommy feed the fishies can lead to independent feed-fests. And if you have rowdy parties, batten down the tank cover or keep an eagle eye on problem guests: pennies tossed in the tank are poison.

Last edited:
If you have any techniques or advice how to make my wife stop vaping indoors next to my beloved DT (used to be beloved wife sigh) im all ears! Im about at the barfing stage but the fish & corals seem just fine go figure...........strangulation is against the law so i hear & addicts well just do not want to hear advice about vices.......from non smokers.
Must have discussions did not work ....................Dear Abby err i mean Sk8r HELP!

Move her chair, GIVE her a nice smoking chair remote from it, or install a really aggressive air filter. [Air Doctor is one of the best, but pricey. It cuts on high when it detects particulate in the air. And its the size of a flat kitchen wastecan. But it works.]

Yes i am running air filtration in living room, works wonders.
Luckly ive got a glass lid on my DT so all is well there.
Come summer i can run a window fan! Am counting the days.
Love is grand says grumpy ol man to himself :)
So if anyone vapes indoors i can tell you after 2 yrs ive noticed absolutely no issues with a reef tank from it, with a lid on anyway.

Back