Dolphins in Captivity

Cu455

Saw thia PSA ans thought it will be a great discussion starter. Should dolphins be allowed for use in public aquariums? How about home aquariums? Whats the minimum size tank yoi sh9uld have for the smaller species? Do we need to have a ban on dolphins for the children?

That would be cute, except NONE of information presented is true.
I refuse to trust a group willing to flat out lie to get a point across.

A the exploitation of the kids for propaganda and B............seriously die from chlorine? I'm failure sure there's none in their tanks.

Actually, CL2 can be used as per USDA for sterilization on marine mammal tanks. It's kept at VERY specific levels via very tight protocols and has been proven as very effective and safe long term. I've never heard of a dolphin in the US dying from CL2 issues.

That being said, I could literally take every comment made in this video and show it to be false or a misrepresented fact.

You also need to consider the source. It's produced by Ric O'Barry. The guy who made his money catching / training dolphins for the Flipper show several decades ago. He had a dolphin die (no cause of death has even been officially given that I am aware of). He snapped emotionally when it happened. With in the first day after it happened, he started illegally cutting open pens to free dolphins all over the area (Southern FL and Bahamas) - which we know will lead to their death since there was no process to re-acclimate them to wild life after growing to depend on human care. Within the first couple of days he landed himself in jail for how he was treating dolphins under human care and destruction of personal property.

One might be able to justify his heart was in the right place - as he did want what he thought was best for the animals. Sadly, his actions were not what was the best for them, and he was risking the animals lives instead of saving them.

Actually, CL2 can be used as per USDA for sterilization on marine mammal tanks. It's kept at VERY specific levels via very tight protocols and has been proven as very effective and safe long term. I've never heard of a dolphin in the US dying from CL2 issues.

Well that's interesting, didn't see that coming. Learn something new every day on this forum!

Also something else to consider - is that generally if a wild animal is breeding & raising their offspring successfully in captivity - it means the caretakers are doing everything right.

In fact in North American Aquariums and Marine Parks the some of the most common cetaceans & seals presently have captive bred specimens making fairly large portion of their over all total captive population In North America. The Orca or Killer whale, in which ~ 40% of the total captive population is captive bred. Bottlenose Dolphins have about 42-45% their total North American captive population is captive bred. In California Sea Lions - about 70% of their North American captive population is captive bred.

Last edited:
I quite frankly find the exploitation of children as a propaganda platform like this quite disturbing.

Yeah, as soon as I see kids spouting things that are to be believed as facts I stop watching. Kids know nothing except kid stuff, not real knowledge. PETA sure loves it though.

Yeah, as soon as I see kids spouting things that are to be believed as facts I stop watching. Kids know nothing except kid stuff, not real knowledge. PETA sure loves it though.

Sorry every time I see them I think People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

I understand where Ric O'Barry is coming from. He believes his dolphin (Flipper) committed suicide because it no longer wanted to live in captivity. True or not, this is what he believes. The man loved that dolphin, and I don't think anyone would dispute that fact. Being human, it's easy for the rest of us to feel his pain, and feel the need to "make it right". Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be made right simply by outlawing captive dolphins. What he, and his followers, fail to see, is what society was like before Flipper was pipped into every living room across this country. The reality is that no one cared about dolphins back then. Most Americans thought they were just big fish that wouldn't bite a hook. We surely didn't care how they were treated. Flipper, the captive dolphin, changed all that. A whole generation of Americans fell in love with Dolphins because of this captive animal named Flipper. Now, Americans are appalled by the thought of mistreating one of these animals, and are willing to go to bat to protect them. Which would not have been possible without captive dolphins.

It's hard for us humans to care about something we don't understand, or that we can't relate to. If we want people to care about these animals, we MUST get them up close and personal with them. The first time a young dolphin brings you a toy because he wants you to play with him, like a dog or a small child would do, or an adult swims up to you, stops, rolls over, and looks you in the eye, your life will be changed forever. You can't help but to come to the realization that these are special creatures. Things like this are taking place across this country every day. None of which would be possible without captive individuals.

If we are going to protect these animals around the globe, we need places like Seaworld, shows like Flipper, and movies like A Dolphin Tale. We need to expose society to these animals every chance we get. To do this we need captive dolphins. We humans have short memories. If we did away with captive dolphins (and many other animals) we would soon forget just how incredible they really are. Society would go right back to the way we were before we met Flipper.

Just my opinion
Peace
EC

Back