Don't support Chinese knockoffs of reef equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingpolarbear

I can't hold back my disgust anymore for Chinese industrial knockoffs that lack any hint of innovation, and simply use the hard work of other designers and cheap labor to undercut the market.

I noticed a bunch of Chinese skimmers coming on the market that are copying German designs.

For example I just read this on the ReefBuilder.com blog:

The "" protein skimmer is a new model from the Chinese manufacturer which bears an uncanny resemblance to one of last year's best. Wine glass body shape, custom volute for not-a-Sicce pump, and that iconic red & white just screams Vertex Aquaristik, or is that Royal Exclusiv?

I mean, even the color is red and white!

Please don't support what I consider industrial piracy that is rampant in China. This will drain the hobby of innovation as fewer of the high quality products will be sold, making them even more expensive, and then we'll all end up with cheap mass produced junk.

you should check and see where no less than half of the clothes you are wearing are made. I happen to personally know the North Face, Arcteryx, and Nike manufacturers....guess what, China. Yiwu province. Now if you are saying that the chinese product is a lesser product, that is one thing. But it sounds like you are saying you are upset because they took a good idea and ran with it....that sounds like good business to me.

What kind of car do you drive...well, if its newer than 2001, it may as well have been assembled in china too. Where are the lights you use for your reef made.....China.

And are you really getting upset because the color scheme of product is downright similar....now if there was a design patent for those colors in combination with certain parts as being used in a whole, i could say thats dirty, since patents are expensive and purchased to protect a design, but if i am not mistaken, there is no patent on those designs, or colors being used in conjunction with the mechanical engineering that was manifested......that makes all those aspects: PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Now, i am not advocating buying cheaper products beacause they are cheaper....especially in this hobby, you get what you pay for when it comes to dry goods. But who doesnt love a good set of Foakleys.

and bc: please take this solely for its humor, ok mostly for its humor.
NOTHING IS MADE IN CANADA.

That's business. The iOS notifications bar is straight out of android. The original Galaxy was very similar to the iPhone 3GS. It's business. If someone else can make it for a better price and close the same quality, let then. Looking to the Jebao wavewakers. I have 2 WP40s on my 120. Would've cost me a fortune to get the MP40's if I wanted a brand name.

The companies know they have a select group that they can sell it to for a high price and still have profits. They usually don't want to risk their name by lowering their prices to that of the competition.

As an American and a Veteran I try very hard not to buy anything from China. The cost doesn't play into it, if I can find an American product I will always take it first and a European country if they just don't make it any longer in America. It is difficult with some items as they don't make some things anywhere else. Things such as some electronics you just can't get American made. That is for two reasons one being some Americans just buy because it's cheap and the other being there are no laws in China for pollution so they can manufacture anything there and dump chemicals almost anywhere they want. We don't do that.
It's easy to buy American food. There is a label on everything and if it is from China, you would have to be crazy to let your family eat any of that.
I still get most of my clothes made in America as there is a site "Made in America .com" But it is limited.
I also anly buy what is still called American cars even though I realize many of the parts are made over seas.
It is very important to me when we go shopping to only buy American. We have been trying to get a stupid can opener for months and can't find an American one so I keep fixing my very old one. My sneakers are only New Balance American made shoes and my Jeans are also made here. But it is very difficult.

These innovative companies you support so much need to lower their prices. They have an insanely high markup worked into their cost because they are the innovators. These chinese products only offer competition. Innovation only gives you the right to over charge for products for so long. Do you pay top dollar for brand name medications or do you guy generics? What about food? Do you prefer kroger brand or kraft?

Bashing Chinese products because they are made cheaper and resemble other successful products is ridiculous, that is EXACTLY how America was built. Could you imagine if coke and pepsi werent constantly stealing each others ideas? mountain dew and mellow yellow, Dr. pepper and Mr pibb? Some one made a leap in technology, and another company is making a similar product. So what? If the innovator wants to compete, they should lower their price. Simple.

And just as others have pointed out, many american companies outsource work to china too, so its ok for american companies to take advantage of cheap labor and cheap materials, then ship over here and charge more for it. but its not ok for a chinese company to make the same product and sell it here cheaper then the american company that is just acting as a middle man?

Vortech MP60 $675.

Jebao WP60 $75

I have both...the Jebao works just as good. I'll never buy another MP again. I can buy 9 WP60's compared to one vortech. There's absolutely no reason Vortech needs to charge this outrageous price. If they come out with a new product that's priced correctly and competitive with the Jebao I'll buy vortech but not until this happens.

I like buying American but not at that price difference...sorry.

These innovative companies you support so much need to lower their prices. They have an insanely high markup worked into their cost because they are the innovators. These chinese products only offer competition. Innovation only gives you the right to over charge for products for so long. Do you pay top dollar for brand name medications or do you guy generics? What about food? Do you prefer kroger brand or kraft?

They have "insanely high markup" because it costs money to create something, but it costs next to nothing to copy it. If a company is going to have its product copied under the guise of "competition", they will lose money....so they will not come out with new products. They would be nuts to take the financial risk.

Generic drugs were once originally patented by the actual makers, which allows they to...GASP...make a profit off of what they created. Cheese? C'mon, that is a terrible example for this discussion.

If the innovator wants to compete, they should lower their price. Simple.

Maybe they cannot lower their price, because the way they make the product costs more than what some company making a knockoff with inferior products does. The innovator is not going to innovate something just to cause a PITA to compete with some schmuck that copies his ideas. Patents are there for a reason. While I do understand patent trolls have caused a problem, the intent of patents is good and promotes MORE innovation.

Vortech MP60 $675.

Jebao WP60 $75

I have both...the Jebao works just as good. I'll never buy another MP again. I can buy 9 WP60's compared to one vortech. There's absolutely no reason Vortech needs to charge this outrageous price. If they come out with a new product that's priced correctly and competitive with the Jebao I'll buy vortech but not until this happens.

Except the Jebao is not at all a copy of the Vortech, it is a copy of Tunze. Jebao using a similar name, by accident I am sure :rolleyes:, to the Vortech is why people think that.

how about my german stuff that are made in China ? or american brands that are made in china ? should I stop using them as well ?

they are all made in china ... some just charge more and act like it wasnt "designed" in china ...

And just as others have pointed out, many american companies outsource work to china too, so its ok for american companies to take advantage of cheap labor and cheap materials, then ship over here and charge more for it. but its not ok for a chinese company to make the same product and sell it here cheaper then the american company that is just acting as a middle man?

No it is not OK for them to do that in my opinion. I really wish this country would look 30-40 years down the road at what we are going to bring upon ourselves. We will be a country of people washing each others clothes and making sandwiches for each other...all service, no manufacturing.

While it is impossible to buy nothing from China or everything from America...I make as much effort as I can.

how about my german stuff that are made in China ? or american brands that are made in china ? should I stop using them as well ?

they are all made in china ... some just charge more and act like it wasnt "designed" in china ...

What German stuff?

If you are referring to Tunze, you are wrong. They do source the power supplies and impeller magnets there.

What German stuff?

If you are referring to Tunze, you are wrong. They do source the power supplies and impeller magnets there.

lol
why does everything have to be about Tunze with u ... ahh Im to busy to do this again with you :) but you seem way to overprotective of Tunze ... thats not even the point of the thread and through your last 3 replies you have made it the topic of the thread :)

your right. others shouldnt have an opinion. and power supply and m=impeller and magnet and plastic body arent whats important, what matters is who ordered it.

lol

lol
why does everything have to be about Tunze with u ... ahh Im to busy to do this again with you :)

your right. others shouldnt have an opinion.

lol

Because you stated this:

You also will not name some German companies that have there stuff made in China, like you claimed. You can certainly have an opinion....but you should be able to back it up ;).

I am not protective of Tunze, just correct information. Pssst...I said nothing of plastic bodies. Their power supplies and magnets.

Last edited:
Because you stated this:

You also will not name some German companies that have there stuff made in China. You can certainly have an opinion....but you should be able to back it up ;).

I am not protective of Tunze, just correct information. Pssst...I said nothing of plastic bodies. Their power supplies and magnets.

and impeller :)

ask Roger about plastic :)

I said GERMAN, that includes BMW and tunze, and alot more companies that are from the country in Europe called GERMANY. not just your Tunze lol . this is nothing personal and I didnt quote you. I just simply said some of my "german" and "american" products are made in china ... or majority of it is .... [I am in sort of same business, we would never get one factory to make the whole thing as they can steal it easy. so we make it 10 different parts and get it made remotely from one another, and put them together and seel as "Canadian" but in reality ... its chinese. lol

Last edited:
Vortech MP60 $675.

Jebao WP60 $75

The jebao might work like the vortec but they missed the main idea with the low profile of the vortc. However, I don't own vortec or jebao and wont pay $675 for a power head. I agree with you there is a point to the insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back