Dosing chloroquine in a fish only tank

Maybe we need to send them care packages...;-)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Seems that way... I purchased some copper power from amazon in the US and had it shipped here ... it took a week to clear customs...
On another note I started dosing my fish only tank with copper power took 6 days to bring concentration to 1.75 ,strange thing is I have a cleaner shrimp in that tank that I couldn't catch and he is still doing well

I've helped some LFS clear their retail tanks (with rock/sand) of velvet using CP and this is how we did it: Start off by dosing 10 mg/L (40 mg/gal) and then subsequently dose 1 mg/L (4 mg/gal) every day thereafter. Daily redosing is ideal, but if that conflicts with your schedule then redosing 3 mg/L or 12 mg/gal every 3 days (for example) should still be adequate. CP has a wide therapeutic range (20-80 mg/gal), so the objective is to keep it within that concentration at all times. Keep redosing for 30 days.

The reason you have to keep redosing CP is because the amount of bacteria found in a typical DT environment will degrade the medication.

Because of the issue that I'm having, and after trying everything else, I've decide to treat with Chloroquine Phosphate. I've also decide to treat my whole fish only tank, which is about net water 220gals, instead of individual fish. I started on 1/7 with 14grams, which is about 60mg/gal. 3 days later I dosed about 4grams. Currently I have the lights off.

A couple of questions, should I keep the lights off? I have Leds that's aren't strong and an actinic light, as this is a fish only tank without much LR in it. Also, should I keep dosing in smaller amounts of Chloroquine Phosphate every so many days until I reach 30 days?

Because of the issue that I'm having, and after trying everything else, I've decide to treat with Chloroquine Phosphate. I've also decide to treat my whole fish only tank, which is about net water 220gals, instead of individual fish. I started on 1/7 with 14grams, which is about 60mg/gal. 3 days later I dosed about 4grams. Currently I have the lights off.

A couple of questions, should I keep the lights off? I have Leds that's aren't strong and an actinic light, as this is a fish only tank without much LR in it. Also, should I keep dosing in smaller amounts of Chloroquine Phosphate every so many days until I reach 30 days?

No need to keep the lights off. Retreat with 12mg per gallon every 3 days. Some treat for 30 days, I personally treat for 21 days and have never had a issue doing it that way.

I've heard different things about the lights and since it wasn't a reef tank I went with them off. My friend dosed in his reef tank and left the lights on and it work, so I'll put some of them back on. Did you have any problem with ammonia? I've gotten Prime use in case.

I've heard different things about the lights and since it wasn't a reef tank I went with them off. My friend dosed in his reef tank and left the lights on and it work, so I'll put some of them back on. Did you have any problem with ammonia? I've gotten Prime use in case.

There will be micro fauna die off and I have a FOWLR and a refugium with tons of pods and micro stars. Pods won’t die in CP but all algae and micro stars, micro worms etc will die and can cause a spike in ammonia. If your tank is mature it should be able to handle the die off because it should be minimal. When I dosed I admittedly never check ammonia after

The tank has been running since 1994 and usually handles a heavy load of fish, plus it doesn't have much algae growth in the tank as I have a lot of tangs, rabbit fish and angels that take care of it.

No need to keep the lights off. Retreat with 12mg per gallon every 3 days. Some treat for 30 days, I personally treat for 21 days and have never had a issue doing it that way.

^^ THIS

I've heard different things about the lights and since it wasn't a reef tank I went with them off. My friend dosed in his reef tank and left the lights on and it work, so I'll put some of them back on.

The powder itself is light sensitive, but once dosed in water it is not. I always store my Chloroquine in a dark container in the freezer (which prolongs its life.)

Back