Dosing vinegar want to also add vodka ....

Does anyone know the chemistry or science behind burnt sps tips

In its relationship to alkalinity, no. I've never seen any reasonable rational for that, but it is certainly demonstrated time and time again that a ULNS system seems unusually sensitive to keeping alkalinity at the lower end compared to other tanks.

I've have had burnt tips before I started carbon dosing I have no idea what I did beside alk fluc a little I'm shooting fkr 7.5 to 8

The ideal I think is how tom had his dialed in low nutrients but not low enough were he gets tip burn. Etc.... Have to find that sweet spot ... I haven't found it yet :(

I don't really know how to define a "ulns" system or why tip troubles occur but I'll offer some speculation .
Most"unls" systems" I've seen go for zero NO3 and zero PO4 with a focus on ripping out as much phosphate and nitrogen as possible and then adding back some nitrogen sources and a host of other elements,foods, amminos and supplements.
Corals in these systems usually exhibit pastel coloration indicative of limited zooxanthellae density.
These systems also involve a mix of organic carbon sources and bacteria as manufacturer's espouse the need for bacterial diversity without a real basis for that assertion.

I'd speculate the organic carbon sources used in these systems include some glucose to slow zooxanthellae density to get the pastel effect as it may interfere with zooxanthellae density.

Extremely low phosphate may mess up normal calcium and carbonate disposition since the coral uses ATP ,adenosine triphosaphte, in moving it for disposition in the skeletal matrix.

Either or both of these conditions(low energy from a low density of zooxanthellae and./or a lack of phosphate could make it hard for the coral to grow enough tissue to keep up with skeletal growth and/or result in abnormal skeletal growth .

Inconsistent alkalinity , particularly on the low end might also cause interference in the calcification process . Jumpy alk particularly at the low end is often followed by stn.
Nobody really knows the cause but many who use the so called unls systems do seem to experience tip troubles perhaps more so at higher alk levels.Maybe reduced directed transport and disposition of calcium and carbonate by the coral combined with more of it in the water results in misdirected or uncontrolled skeletal growth and balance with tissue growth.

Some including me with some PO4 and higher alk do not have tip troubles or stn .

IME, some PO4 improves the richness of color and overall vibrancy. Not much is needed ( 0.02 to 0.04ppm as tested with the hanah 713 does very well,ime) while still managing nuisance algae acceptably well . But my chaeto won't grow at those levels and needs more . Some run nice sps tanks at much higher phosphate levels levels than mine,btw.Some run nice tanks with lower PO4 too. I think the range of PO4 levels can vary but some is necessary. Trying to eliminate it or dropping it too fast can affect corals and other calcifying organisms in a negative way ,imo.

Last edited:
Great info
so if im getting burnt tips
a) lower my carbon dosing
B) keep my my alk lower 7/8
c)take my gfo off line

Thanks for the explanation tom I understand now!! It's way more pratical to add more vinegar then then to do both I dose the vinegar through my dosing pump and was going to add another pump for vodka but sounds like a waste of money and effort ... Thanks guys I just love my tank lol
It's not accurate .IME nor in the accounts I've read. It can take months for either to have an effect on high initial nitrate levels.

There are some differences between the two sources(vodka/ethanol and vinegar/acetic acid ) but I don't think they would effect the speed of nitrate or PO4 reduction significantly.

Ethanol is oxidized to acetic acid usually by acetobacteria which are ubiquitous in the air and water ; then the acetic acid from the vodka will convert to acetate at pH over 5.5 as will the acetic acid from the vinegar. Acetate is the organic carbon source for the facultative heterotrophic bacteria that take up nitrogen and phosphate and are heavily exported via skimming. The acetobacteria will also use some nitrogen and phosphate and may also be exprted by skimming .

I don't know about the potential for direct uptake of either ethanol or acetic acid by organisms. Not sure the acetate is directly beneficial to organisms via direct uptake othert han the bacteria that use it but it is likely so,imo. There may also be alternative pathways for ethanol but I haven't found any.

I think,the extra step to get to acetic acid with ethanol slows down the initial H+release that occurs when acetic acid goes into high pH water. It takes some time for the ethanol it to oxidize to acetic acid. This makes it easier to bolus dose vodka vs vinegar which must be dosed slowly preferably during photosynthetic periods Vodka is harder to dose on small systems or via auto dosing given it's relatively high concentration of organic carbon,8 times as much vs vinegar.

There is no proven benefit to using different types of organic carbon sources;the opposite may be true as with sugars for example;in the end it's acetate . No reason to encourage so called bacterial diversity ,imo. The soluble organics primarily vodka and vinegar are closest to the acetate, using them limits the variety of bacteria involved in acetogenisis.

Any of those things might help ;might not . I'd also snip them them off. and check for any localized detritus bluild or dead spot flow issues.

I'd probably change the order to c) a) b). Personally, I prefer not to shift alk around if I can avoid it and seek consistency in organic carbon amounts . Dropping the gfo would get a bit more PO4 in the mix. I'd also check nitrate in case a nitrogen deficiency was contributing.

Back