Dream fish anyone?

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
I remember reading a few older threads about bucket list fish and what not. Well I found one that seemed to be on a lot of people’s lists. Pricey but still a beautiful fish. The Wrought Iron Butterfly - photo is ReefPro’s
83E58447-EC73-41F4-B44E-ED911AB22E45.jpeg

Leafy Sea Dragon. Saw a pic of one long befor I ever set up my first saltwater system. Can't say it inspired me to set one up as that goes to a Royal Gramma and Mandarin Goby I saw in a pet shop in 1980 in San Diego.

Leafy_Sea_Dragon_3.jpg

I’ve always been tempted to put a dwarf lion in my reef but scared to at the same time

Only interest we had in predator fish was a Panther Grouper we had in a 55 in our first apartment. Of course he quickly outgrew the tank and we donated him to a local aquarium.

What drew my to the hobby was my parents’ interest in FO SW back in the 80s. Set up my first reef in 1990 and Pink Skunk Clowns drew me in.

Saltwater was never much of a thing here. At least you never saw it in the shops except for a few that had a single tank.
I never had a dream fish. I had some dreams though.
3 lions and 2 eels in a tank was one. It started in a 75. I still have the eels. They are fully grown snowflake eels each about 2 feet long. So I upgraded the 75 to the 180. I also upsized the stuff in the fish room with a second sulfur denigrator and much bigger skimmer.

The dream of an 8 foot tank. In 1985 the tank was supposed to have discus fish but things change.

fishpast.jpg

I can manage 2 dreams at once. They evolve over time though. I couldn't keep the tank like this. Fish grow and even an 8 foot tank isn't big compared to the sea. The baby angel I put in it is now the size of a dinner plate and the sail fin a saucer. Many not reef safe fishes.

I ordered a bristle tooth tang for the 75 but got a mystery fish. It is some kind of tang but is a killer. It assassinated my trigger, tomini, file fish and several others. It was supposed to stay small but is the size of the clown tang now.
In the end this tank is like a freshwater tank you put some small Oscars or Jack Dempseys in. There can be only one.
Plus the neurological stuff. I take 15 pills a day to make my brain and body function plus some others for other issues. Luckily I built a system that runs without much help from me. Nothing that has to changed frequently. Just empty the skimmer bucket and fill the dosers and kalk stirrer.

Back