Drilling glass

mpomfret

I posted some questions about whether or not to drill my tank on the Newbie forum and one of the replies suggested I try the DIY crowd for more info. So here goes:

I have a 75gal (48x18x20) that I am setting up. It sits on a counter so that one of the 18x20 ends butts up against a cabinet. Plan A is to drill the tank wall at that end for a bulkhead fitting, build an overflow box around it and run the plumbing through the adjacent cabinet, down through the counter and into the sump.

A sales guy at an LFS told me I was inviting disaster drilling a tank wall, especially near the top and suggested a siphon overflow. I had the feeling he might be overstating the risks in an attempt to sell me some gear, but did he have a point ? Should I reconsider ?

If I decide on drilling how do I find someone willing to do it ?
Is it a fairly straightforward operation to do yourself (pointers about size, location, etc. would be welcome) ?

With the siphon-style overflow it seems like I can limit the water that winds up on the floor due to a power outage by limiting the volume of the section my return sits in, using a well-designed siphon, and maybe adding a sprinkler solenoid valve to the bottom of the siphon tube. But I'm not so sure of sufficient overflow rate or of synching return to overflow. Suggestions on how to accomplish this would be great.

Matt

Also helpful. It doesn't look like either of these two think drilling a tank is a big deal. I think I'll try the hole saw method. I'll see if I can find a cheap 10 gal aquarium for and turn it into Swiss cheese for practice.

This 2nd thread shows holes drilled near the top of the tank wall -- exactly where the sales guy from the LFS told me was MOST dangerous.

Matt

You might need to get a bigger tank then 10 gallon to practice on-- those have pretty thin glass and I read where someone found out his walmart purchased 10 gallon was tempered glass which cannot be drilled--- will shatter...

Most larger tanks use thicker glass and its not tempered-- it its a new tank it should have a sticker on the glass saying it is tempered or you can contact the tank manufacturer to find out....

I am a glazier and I work with glass everyday. Definately make sure that the tank is NOT tempered. It is impossible to drill tempered glass and it will completely shatter that side of the tank if you try. I have drilled hundreds of holes in glass using a drill press, diamond dusted hole saws, and and a cutting lubricant. With the proper equipment it is quite simple and I would think that drilling near the top should be fine. It will have a lot less water pressure on it than a bottom drilled hole.
Good Luck

Back