dripping CArx effluent into skimmer...where?

cnaegler

I was thinking of dripping my CaRx effluent into my skimmer to remove any unwanted CO2. Where would be the best place on the skimmer to do that AND still be able to see my drip count? Could i drill a hole in the center of my collection cup lid and let it drip straight into the foam head...or will that kill my foam head altogether? Also, willl dripping the effluent ddirectly into the skimmer remove any alk/ calcium before it has the chance to make it to the display? Thanks in advance! :confused:

I suppose that I could however the overflow that feeds the skimmer is on the opposite side of an 8 foot tank. I would have to run my calcium reactor line all the way over to the opposite side. Maybe instead of running it into the skimmer, I could just have a bowl with an airstone in it? Would that do the trick?

i run my CA reactor effluent into my refugium. it allows the macro to absorb the excess CO2. (kind of like a planted tank) it helps the macro grow, and the macro also reduces the CO2 which will raise the PH.

Do you run a 2nd chamber on your CA-reactor?
if not, you might look into it. it will boost your PH about .3 (from recent tests on different peoples tank's) its free, and just holds fine CA media and absorbs excess CO2 and will also add a little CA/ALK (not a noticable amount, but any little bit helps)

hope that helps?

you could drip it into your cup, but i think it might effect the foam head.....
(a test would be to snake the tubing through the cup vent, up and down the transition, and let it drip into your neck and see what heppens? if it doesnt work, then pull the hose out and no worries!. )

yeah, dont drip into the actual chamber- it will lower the surface viscosity and pop bubbles prematurely.
If your really concerned about it impacting the ph of the tank , get an add on media chamber filled w/ reactor media and run your effluent through there, it will help drive off Co2, and buffer the ph of the effluent as it will also increase the alk/cal level in the effluent. That would be the most reliable/ benefitical way to solve your worries.

Hmmm....good ideas! I have a dedicated pump that feeds my refugium and anemone tank. Maybe i could direct the effluent into that pump's intake...see if that works. I may add a 2nd chamber when i can pick up the materials to make one... room has gotten to be an issue in my fishroom.

I would just have it drip into the refugium. If you drip it infront of your pump, you may endup dropping the Ph in your anemone tank. Just my thought

I could probably do that. My only concern is that it would be hard to see the drip as my fuge is up high and it drains into the anemone tank before it returns to the sump. But i'm probably nitpicking...

photobucket-4123-1308615375381.jpg

what feed pump are you using on your CA-reactor?
it would be easier to drip your effluent in the overflow verses the refugium.

i would look into getting a 2nd chamber. (you ca use standard PVC because you dont have to look inside. (nothing to see)

Back