Drs. Foster & Smith Select Fiji Premium Live Rock - bad batch?

ThRoewer

In need of some nice live rock with lots of coralline algae for my new tank, and because the local store either don't have live rock it or didn't have the quality I was looking for I decided to order a box online from LA.

Based on the description I decided the Drs. Foster & Smith Select Fiji Premium Live Rock was what I was looking for:

Drs. Foster & Smith's Select Fiji Premium rock is the highest grade of Fiji rock available. We are able to provide the freshest and most colorful live rock available anywhere, because this rock is flown in directly from Fiji on a weekly basis. Be warned, you may find cheaper sources for Fiji Premium rock elsewhere, but the rock is cheap for a reason because its been in a shipping container for three to six weeks! We call this cheaper Fiji rock Boat Rock because the rock is placed in cargo containers on a ship which sails out of the port of Suva in Fiji and arrives in the United States three to six weeks later!

We start by Flying in our Select Fiji Premium Live rock weekly, and deal with one of the best collectors in Fiji, who grades the rock based on shape and coralline algae coverage. Once the rock is picked up from the airport in Los Angeles California we then unpack each and every piece of Drs. Foster & Smith's Select Fiji Premium Rock and sort the rock again. Each piece is then hand picked by our experienced packaging crew based on the overall appearance and coralline algae coverage. The rock is then re-hydrated in fresh synthetic seawater, and carefully packaged in an insulated shipping box. Depending on the location of harvest this rock may be in boulder and oblong shapes, or fused branches of ancient Proites colonies, and is 70-90% covered in Coralline algae on the top or show side of each piece. ...

So I ordered a 45 lbs box which arrived yesterday after a minor UPS snafu.

Unfortunately the rock in the box did not match the description in anything but the size.
They were for sure not fresh.
Even after soaking and scrubbing off the sediment there shows little coralline, let alone the advertised 70-90% coverage on the "show side", and what little coralline is there has turned yellow and is decaying.

I also didn't see any signs that these rocks were rehydrated like they advertise. The rocks I receives were so dry that I wondered why they had to be shipped via expensive Next Day Air. Standard ground would have been sufficient and wouldn't have done more harm to these than the days they likely spend sitting dry in a warehouse in LA.

Now, back in Germany, when I helped out in a local saltwater store I have seen freshly arrived live rock (usually from Singapore and Indonesia) that was full of coralline, macroalgae and all kinds of life forms, including soft and hard corals (I even got one piece once with a fungia base polyp on it). They usually also contained all kinds of worms, crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, most still alive and fit enough to survive. Usually there was also always moisture in the box that kept everything alive.

Even here in one of the local stores they get often much better quality rocks.

What I got looked more like the Fiji Foundation Rock.

Now I would like to know what others here received when ordering the Select Fiji Premium Live Rock.
Was it as advertised and I just got a bad batch, or is this the normal condition these rocks come in and the advertisement is just full of it?

Call them.
Ordered from them many times.
Ordered a T5 fixture that came broken.
A phone call resolved it in 5 minutes.
They sent me a new one, done.

I don't know anything about their live rock but Dr. Foster and Smith will make it right. I had a problem with a heater and they just refunded me the money and didn't even make me return it.

If you want rock full of live you need to order from a place that cultures it out of the water and packs and ships it within a few days. There is a place in Florida that does this. The rock you got took a week or more of being in a box sitting around before it was put in a vat with no light and little flow

I sent them an email and will wait until tomorrow before calling them because right now I don't have the time for a call. If I don't get a response by noon tomorrow I will call them.

I feel the issue is that the rock is shipped from L.A. where, as it seems, they hold it for several days dry in the box.
I've seen this myself at DeJong Marine Live in the Netherlands, where they had the boxes with live rock stacked up on a wall until they sold. If you got there the day the day they received them it was great, but only a day or two later it was basically all dead smelly rock. The only reason to consider buying rock there was that they got Red Sea live rock that was really nice and sometimes came in huge pieces.

Ideally this shouldn't be a stock item but rather a "made/ship to order" item that is distributed/forwarded the day it arrives, straight from LAX.

Last edited:
Last time I ordered their Premium Fiji was about 3 years ago and it pretty much looked just as they described and pictured on their website.

Did you pay for the overnight shipping? Also you mentioned there was a problem with the UPS shipping. What was the problem?

I paid and it was shipped Next Day Air (overnight) but the UPS driver forgot to deliver it when he delivered another package to our neighbor in the morning (I saw him and expected it to be my box). When I didn't find anything after he left I contacted UPS right away since we had it several times before that the UPS driver delivered Express packages to the wrong address. They investigated it and then had the driver deliver it on his way back in the afternoon.
Though I doubt the additional 7 hours on the truck made any difference for these rocks - they were mostly dead long before they left L.A.

Update:
They called me and refunded the full cost, including shipping and gave me on top of that a nice store credit for a future order.
Their customer service is truly great!

I sent them an email and will wait until tomorrow before calling them because right now I don't have the time for a call. If I don't get a response by noon tomorrow I will call them.

I feel the issue is that the rock is shipped from L.A. where, as it seems, they hold it for several days dry in the box.
I've seen this myself at DeJong Marine Live in the Netherlands, where they had the boxes with live rock stacked up on a wall until they sold. If you got there the day the day they received them it was great, but only a day or two later it was basically all dead smelly rock. The only reason to consider buying rock there was that they got Red Sea live rock that was really nice and sometimes came in huge pieces.

Ideally this shouldn't be a stock item but rather a "made/ship to order" item that is distributed/forwarded the day it arrives, straight from LAX.

Almost all live rock is handled that way now... or worse, sent via cargo ship. True live rock that actually has life on it, is mainly from AQ places in Florida.

Via cargo ship could actually work perfectly fine if they would ship it wet in a tank and replace the water once in a wile. The other option would be in a watertight container with a sprinkler system to keep everything wet. Both options would be possible and not really break the bank.
Of course, if they pack it on a ship it in the same boxes they use for airfreight they may as well dry and bleach it on the beach first before shipping it.

Its not shipped in tank of water. Its locked in a cargo container for a month. Same boxes, and all. Getting boxes (and styro) on the Islands tends to be a rather large and costly task ;)

i do remember hearing a couple weeks ago that there was a strike on the west coast. And that there were loads of cargo sitting on ships that couldn't get unloaded. Food was rotting and everyone was losing money and cargo. Maybe thats got something to do with it.

i do remember hearing a couple weeks ago that there was a strike on the west coast. And that there were loads of cargo sitting on ships that couldn't get unloaded. Food was rotting and everyone was losing money and cargo. Maybe thats got something to do with it.

Given its been in the box for weeks prior to even getting to port, it doesn't matter at that point, it can't get any worse.

Back