dry rock - florida reef rock vs reefrock.net

i know when you buy dry rock, or any aquarium rock for that matter, you want the more porous rock. Then it comes down to user preference on which style you want to use for aqua-scaping in your aquarium.

i came across two different websites that have two different styles of rock.
both seem to have special characteristics, based off the look you are wanting to acheive.

the first site is reefcleaners.org that sells florida reef rock
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/florida-reef-rock-50lbs-free-shipping

the second site i found sells rock that i couldnt find a name on. it looks really different than the florida reef rock.
http://reefrocks.net/index.php?page...l&product_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

my question is this.........they are both close in cost. is there benefit of having one over the other? any advice/recommendations on which is the better one to use in the aquarium?

Just what is so different between the two?

I don't seem to be seeing what you see.

They look pretty much the same to me. The first one shows one rock, the second one shows 8 to 12 rocks stacked together. Other than that, I don't see much difference.

when i look at it, the florida reef rock has a lot more holes in it and is different in color. to me it seems to have a totally different look to it.......

maybe its just me :headwally:

Most Florida mined rock is pretty much going to be from a similar source, if not the same source. The key is who's collecting the rock from the quarry. Are they picking out newer porous limestone or older denser limestone? Some companies, which have bad reviews, just grab any limestone and sell it, while most companies cherry pick the good stuff and some will even pressure wash it before the sale.

Either way you go will be fine I'm sure, but as with anything I would call each company and ask questions about their process.

FYI, Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater has dry Pukani which in my opinion is superior to mined rock, however it will need to be cured as Pukani comes from the ocean.

Btw, one picture of rock is not an indication of exactly what you're going to get. The rock in the pictures were likely sold years ago. So using a photo to determine which rock is better won't work.

I'm very happy with my rock from reefrocks.net...
great stuff.. and the owner will hand pick rock if you are shooting for a specific layout..

John at reefcleaners is great to work with. Just email him with an idea of you layout and he will pick the rock for you himself.

That's what I went with and couldn't be happier!

I decided to go with the rock from reefrocks.net.

I saw the free sand promotion as well. they are out of sand which is ok. I already have all the sand I need. Wouldnt end up using it anyways.......

I hope this comes in and all is well when all said and done..........

thanks for the feedback everyone

Wow, nine months and can't find a supplier for sand? Must me looking to buy far cheaper than any supplier is willing to sell.

Back