DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

did you bang it closed with a hammer?

How far below the tank are you putting this thing? Are you just letting it rip? It should basically work like a closed loop, and have almost no pressure.

Rich, my tank is approx. 4 1/2' high. I have the rsdb sitting on the floor. I didn't even get to let it rip, I just filled it to let it sit. I wanted to first see if it would hold that minimal pressure, it didn't. No I didn't bang it down with a hammer, I thought the old style IO bucket would work better. In case you use a dif salt, this bucket has a ratcheting mechanism with a release lever to re open it. It also has a nice gasket seal. These buckets are great to keep your salt dry but apparently don't like holding water.

What do you think, silicone it, or try another container?

I was thinking the old IO buckets that have the seal, and you hit them with a hammer in a rotary type way, and bang them tight...theyre almost like twist locks. I've never seen ratchet ones.

Maybe something along the lines of a 5g water bottle would work better...you'd just have to make some sort of cap for it. I would use on of those rubber ABS-to-ABS things with hte hoseclamps on it.

The spin on tops are not "old" they are new. The "old" style was the standartd gasketed pickle bucket lid with locking tabs arounf the perimeter.

RC, right these will go a bit further than hand tight if you smack em' with a hammer. The one I am trying to describe has small teeth around the od of the bucket, and clicks at you tighten the lid. There is a lock to pull back before you can remove the lid again. Very similar to some RX bottles.

Bean, my last few IO buckets are similar but IMO not as good of a lid. They have no lock but do screw on. I believe the fore has a better chance of sealing. I shall soon find out as i siliconed the heck out of it last night. I can't seem to get my new camera working right yet to post a pic, that would certainly help.

Worth doing if I have no nitrates?

Worth doing if I have no nitrates?

Hey all,
I've been reading about the DSB in a bucket from it's inception. At the current time I have 0 detectable nitrates using a salifert test kit.

However I seem to be undergoing an algae outbreak on my rocks and back glass.. My chaeto grows reasonably well.. I'm just trying to figure out a solution to the algae.. :)

Would a DSB in a bucket provide me any benefit given I have no measurable nitrates? My fish load is pretty light with 3 tangs, 2 clowns and a couple cromis in a 140g tank with 100g sump...

My inclination would be that it would provide me no benefit, does that sound right?

Tyler

if your having an algae out break and your chaeto is growing then there are nitrates present. they aren't showing up on the test because the algae is using them up. adding a RDSB may be the difference between the odd algae out break and not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9146735#post9146735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a4twenty
if your having an algae out break and your chaeto is growing then there are nitrates present. they aren't showing up on the test because the algae is using them up. adding a RDSB may be the difference between the odd algae out break and not.

I guess I've always thought that phosphate was my problem.. (even though I can't detect it I know it's just getting used up).. Though I guess it makes sense that the same would go for nitrate since it is a nutrient algae uses readily..

Perhaps the DSB in a bucket is something I should try..

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9146782#post9146782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asmodeus
All the readign that I have been doing is showing its a hit and a miss with the RDSB

I figure it's worth a shot. I have plenty of 5 gallon IO buckets, and a bunch of aragonite sand kicking around. It's just a matter of putting everything together and giving it a shot.

I'd like to stay away from a sulfur denitrator...

Tyler

This is my setup. Just finished a few hours ago.

Sump.jpg

Plumb1.jpg

Plumb2.jpg

Plumb3.jpg

Plumb4.jpg

Plumb5.jpg

Plumb6.jpg

Plumb7.jpg

Outside.jpg

Second tub is going to be used a a refugium.

Nice job! I only wish I could move some of my equipment outdoors; my fish room is getting way too full...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9154595#post9154595 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lewy
This is my setup. Just finished a few hours ago.

Sump.jpg

Plumb1.jpg

Plumb2.jpg

Plumb3.jpg

Plumb4.jpg

Plumb5.jpg

Plumb6.jpg

Plumb7.jpg

Outside.jpg

Second tub is going to be used a a refugium.

The option of keeping the sump outside seems so alien for those of us at the top of the planet. You might as well rub it in with some pictures of your tank draining counter clockwise. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9158241#post9158241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr.wilson
The option of keeping the sump outside seems so alien for those of us at the top of the planet. You might as well rub it in with some pictures of your tank draining counter clockwise. :)

:lol: I think the plants in the pictures rubbed it in enough for me.

It's supposed to go to -39C tonight. :rolleyes: Now THAT'S a tank chiller.

Tyler

How about I rub it in a bit more and take some pics at the LFS of some locally caught black and white ocellaris.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9158747#post9158747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lewy
How about I rub it in a bit more and take some pics at the LFS of some locally caught black and white ocellaris.

I guess a population that evolved from apes and marooned prisoners deserves such a beautiful paradise. :)

Are there any fish exporters in Darwin? I have an importing company in Canada.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9165063#post9165063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Yikes. I'd be worried about people doing mean things to my outdoor sumps.
:lol: If it was actually warm enough here to have my sump outside I guess I'd have to worry about all the malathion they spray for mosquito control.

Tyler

I would like to say that I have read through the whole topic, all 52 pages so far.

I only have a small 12g nano, but I'll setup a RDSB to test it out and see what it does on my tank. Should also help as it does add volume to my tank and should make it a little bit easier controlling levels. I only wish I had enough room for a sump. Since I don't have a sump, I'm setting up as a pressurized closed system. the top of the bucket being held in place by a steel X construction with 4 clamps which hold onto the side of the bucket and silicon along the rim.

My tank has only been running for a few months and has a very small bio-load. Only a few hermits, snails and Xenia are in it. This should help me out later when I get around to adding more livestock.

Just to end, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this really lengthy thread. It was a very interesting read.

Nitro, since you read the entire thread I am probably repeating myself but here goes. I had a short run with my first rsdb but will fire my new one up tonight. What i think I learned is this. By seeding my rsdb with livesand from the bottom of my 4"sb i think I sped up the process some. How much, I really don't know and don't think this is knowable. What I did see was a drop in Nitrates in 2 weeks, not to 0 but it was young.

Has anyone tried this? First what is the minimum temp for the bacteria to thrive? I want to run a closed loop through the rsdb contained in tubing coil divoriced from the rdsb itself from a cold water source. Again the water will not be mixing with water in the rsdb, just circulating this is not a denitrator or an attempt at one. I don't need much of a drop in the summer only 2-4 degrees. The rsdb itself could accomplish this sitting on the concrete floor, but to early to tell in the new house.

Back