DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

I am going to give it a try. I have 3 buckets ready to go for my 300 gallon tank. It has always struggled with high nitrates. The only way to keep them between 10-20 is daily water changes, running an ATS, and biopellets. I have been fighting dinos for the last year, and I have removed the ats, biopellets, and am not doing water changes (at least not regular water changes). Nitrates are between 30-40. So I am adding the 3 buckets of sand to see how it works.

I also plan on cleaning one each year, so they will each get cleaned every 3 years. I am not sure that is needed, as it seems there are different opinions on that. But I will be running all water going into the buckets through a 5 micron filter. Because of the filter, it may slow down at times before changes, but the flow should stay between 50 and 150 gph. I know that is slower than some suggest in order to keep particles from settling, but since I am filtering down to 5 microns, there should not be anything to settle. I am sure nitrates won't be consumed that fast, so I don't really se why the flow needs to be any faster, and if I do go faster, it will just clog up my pre filter faster.

Nitrates tested today: 31.4 using a hanna checker.
Po4 is between 0.1 and 0.25 using a salifert test kit (hanna does not work due to silicates used to help get dinos under control). I will be reducing po4 more using Lanthanum Chloride before the 5 micron filter.

I am going to give it a try. I have 3 buckets ready to go for my 300 gallon tank. It has always struggled with high nitrates. The only way to keep them between 10-20 is daily water changes, running an ATS, and biopellets. I have been fighting dinos for the last year, and I have removed the ats, biopellets, and am not doing water changes (at least not regular water changes). Nitrates are between 30-40. So I am adding the 3 buckets of sand to see how it works.

I also plan on cleaning one each year, so they will each get cleaned every 3 years. I am not sure that is needed, as it seems there are different opinions on that. But I will be running all water going into the buckets through a 5 micron filter. Because of the filter, it may slow down at times before changes, but the flow should stay between 50 and 150 gph. I know that is slower than some suggest in order to keep particles from settling, but since I am filtering down to 5 microns, there should not be anything to settle. I am sure nitrates won't be consumed that fast, so I don't really se why the flow needs to be any faster, and if I do go faster, it will just clog up my pre filter faster.

Nitrates tested today: 31.4 using a hanna checker.
Po4 is between 0.1 and 0.25 using a salifert test kit (hanna does not work due to silicates used to help get dinos under control). I will be reducing po4 more using Lanthanum Chloride before the 5 micron filter.
Please post updates. I'd be interested in following your progress.

I had to put the buckets above my salt mixing tanks. It may be a little hard to remove them for cleaning, but at least it is only once a year.

After getting them online, I let them circulate for about 1 hour, then took a nitrate reading. I thought it would read lower, since I added fresh salt water to fill the buckets, but it was up a little.

Starting NO3: 35.6

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Start No3: 35.6
one week No3: 30.9

I also removed about 4 gallons of denigrate yesterday. I don't think it was doing much, but wanted to make a note of it.
The day before I added the buckets, my nitrate was 31.4, so that test right after adding the buckets may have been a bad test. But at least the nitrates have not gone up. I don't think we will know much for a few weeks.

Start No3: 35.6
one week No3: 30.9
two weeks No3: 23.6

Defiantly a downward trend. If this continues, it is much better than any other system I have used to remove nitrates.

I had to put the buckets above my salt mixing tanks. It may be a little hard to remove them for cleaning, but at least it is only once a year.

After getting them online, I let them circulate for about 1 hour, then took a nitrate reading. I thought it would read lower, since I added fresh salt water to fill the buckets, but it was up a little.

Starting NO3: 35.6

It is going to take along time for you to see a difference. Bacteria needs to build up and it also happens pretty far down where oxygen levels are low.

How deep was is the sand?

Following......
Quick Q.
Water going in goes thru the top and exits from bottom of bucket or the top to the next bucket?
Are the buckets somewhat airtight?

The reason I ask is that I would like to do this with a 8" high 6' foot long plastic window box........plumbed outside. I would have 6" SB depth and 6' long.......

Back