Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

Bax - Yes, I am excited to move, mostly so my daughter will have a lot of kids her age to play with.

Chrisrush - We haven't sold my current home yet, so I guess this will be my vacation home :cool: .

I was not a fan of the corner column either, mostly because it blocks 12" of the 48" side of the tank. But that still gives me 3' of viewing immediately at the glass, and when you walk up to the tank you can appreciate the full 4' depth, so it still looks pretty cool. I've actually used the column to my advantage, as one of the CL returns will be hidden by the column, and it will free up some plumbing from the tank room (see below).

fishypets - The column will remain hollow, so it is usable space. I plan to plumb the sump return pipe through that column and over the top of the tank into a manifold that will spread the return water across the surface, pushing it toward the overflow. That will help me to maintain the circular flow pattern that I illustrated at the beginning of this thread. All of that plumbing will be concealed, as I had the carpenter build the cabinets so that they drop down to just below the height of the bottom of the overflow teeth. This will also make it so that the wave from the waveboxes will not be visible at the top.

The column opens at 2 locations to provide a large pass-through to facilitate cleaning the glass. The inside of the column will have a piece of painted black wood abutting the glass so it will be 'blackened out' when viewing it from the front glass pane. This will be removable so that I can drag the magnet around the corner. Actually, maybe I should use a thin sheet of black acrylic, that way I won't have to remove it at all - what do you think?

melev - Yeah, I thought one 450g was enough for me, so I decided to go with a nano instead :p .

stunreefer - I am humbled by my new title, thanks!

T&N - No you don't :) .

gkarshens - I hope you're patient ... it'll be at least 4 months until it's even wet.

Go with the thin acrylic instead of the block'o wood.

Did you think up all of this? There are so many small details that if overlooked would have made things more difficult. This has been a long-well thought out plan and that should be very rewarding for you and your family.

Do you have any pictures from your 2nd story balcony yet?

Really nice to see the pics. That is coming out great. So I am wondering how you made the choice to have the corner column wood rather than like the other columns?

Wow dude, just wow. You weren't kidding when you said that the carpenters did a great job! And as an added bonus, it brought Beth on board!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14326495#post14326495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishypets
Did you think up all of this?
Not entirely myself. I can remember as far back as 2 years ago going over my plans with John and Brian (the Kingfish guys). We've been tweaking ideas ever since that time, and there hasn't been a day between then and now that I haven't thought about different options. It has definitely been a work in progress and I'm sure it will turn out great because of all the time we've had to mull it over.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14326495#post14326495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishypets
Do you have any pictures from your 2nd story balcony yet?
No, but I will. It's a pretty decent view, I'd say. :smokin:

jnarowe - Hmm, interesting question. You know, we never even considered having the column like the others. Those are just painted dry wall. I knew I would want the corner column to have functional doors, and I guess we just kept it with the same materials as the other cabinets, both over and under the tank as well as for the built-in units in the family room.

KingfishJohn - I'm glad you like it man. And you're right about Beth, she is really very pleased. Now, as long as the tank runs silently, we'll be in business!

well, it is an interestiing look. The place looks great. Floors are sweet. Colors are great. Doing an excellent job. I am sure it seems like forever, but it looks like you are getting a top-notch home out of it.

Thanks much, truly appreciate the positive comments.

... and not afraid of negative ones if anybody has them as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14331704#post14331704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester

Here is your negative :D. Such a beautiful house and tank set up but too bad it takes too long to see water in the tank :(

Are you competing with NANOOK :lol:

WOW..that is really amazing planning, craftsmanship, and work. Can you tell me what kinda of wood and stain you used for you cabinetts. i really like the color

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14331704#post14331704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
With such a big room it makes your tank look small. :D

I truly hate you! :D

All right, all right, enough with the negativity ... it's tweaking my mojo.

Jar*Head - Now you know I could never compete with Nanook, don't waste my time :p .

erics3000 - Thanks Eric. We used alder wood for all of the cabinets, and the stain is burnished walnut.

mcrist - It really does look small, doesn't it :mad: .

fishypets - If you need to say that to be able to sleep at night, then keep bringin' it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14331963#post14331963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcrist
With such a big room it makes your tank look small. :D

I agree, the tank look very small. Are you sure you are using inches instead of cm? :lol:

dude that house looks niiiiice. And it must be huge, because that tank really does look tiny, until you see someone standing next to it! haha

Everything in the room was built for giants, so the tank does look smaller. When I visit Mike in the future, I'll get a picture of him in front of his tank. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14333816#post14333816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Everything in the room was built for giants, so the tank does look smaller. When I visit Mike in the future, I'll get a picture of him in front of his tank. :lol:

Ouch.... :lol: ... I heard Mike is 6'5" 300lbs :D

Back