Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

Jar*Head - What? You mean all of those measurements are supposed to be in inches? Dang, how's a dude supposed to know that? Let's see if a Mod can change the title of this thread to Dudester's 55g corner in-wall

Corndork2 - Thanks, and you have a very interesting user name and avatar.

martinphillip03 - Ha, you remember that old 30g? Yes, things sure have changed, and certainly for the better!

melev and Jar*Head - I'm glad I don't have a Napolean complex or them might be fightin' words :D . The tank might look small to others, but to my 5'6" 145 lb. frame, it's pretty darn massive. Although it's still not my dream tank, which would have been 8 or 10 feet long, but I guess this will have to do.

I wasn't going to call you out in your own thread in words, but am happy to provide some fotographic proof. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14334431#post14334431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I wasn't going to call you out in your own thread in words, but am happy to provide some fotographic proof. :D

Go for it Marc :rollface: . Would love to see them fotographic :D

Last edited:
Sorry if I started something, I was only joking around. Your tank is almost the same size as mine; the only difference is my tank is in a modestly sized family room with 8 foot ceilings. Damn I guess I need to build a bigger house.

Your tank is going to be awesome. I can’t wait to see it's progress.

The last pic I saw of Mike on a thread, he was wearing some super spy magnifying glasses and inspecting corals.

... It was a hoot! :D

melev - You can call me out in any thread you like, no worries. I don't keep my size a secret anyway. Besides, I'm still hoping for that mid-life growth spurt ;) .

mcrist - No worries bro, it's all in good fun, even if it is at my expense. And as I'm sure you're already aware, I've been a fan of your tank for a while.

GSMguy - Thanks Nick. You're right, it actually would look better if it was taller. I really don't like the look of long, shallow tanks when they are built in, as it seems to de-emphasize the tank compared to the walls and cabinetry. That's the only reason I went with 30". I'm definitely going to get wet every time I need to reach down to the bottom, but it's a fair trade off as far as I'm concerned. 36" would probably look better for an in-wall, especially since I cut off the top 4" to conceal the wave, but I would have to wear a snorkel and mask if the tank was that tall.

jnarowe - :lol: I know, right? There's got to be a great story behind that name somewhere!

Bax - Good memory dude. That's when I was searching for AEFW eggs and scraping them off, something I never want to do again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14336983#post14336983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
The last pic I saw of Mike on a thread, he was wearing some super spy magnifying glasses and inspecting corals.

IMG_6566.jpg

... It was a hoot! :D

Bax that wasn't a hoot at all man. I lost every acro I owned shortly after that. :mad2:

Dudester - The house and tank look gorgeous. Out of curiosity, who built your house? One of my good friends is a home builder in ATX, and the house he built for himself is a very similar style.

mine is 35" and I would prefer either way bigger so I can actually get in, or a 30" just for the ease of maintainence. I was in a discussion in another thread about bubble algae (valonia) and there were several suggestions on how to deal with it like animals that would eat it, scrubbing, etc.

My response was that when I see something like bubble algae, I just say to myself, "Can't reach that," and that's the end of it. :rolleyes:

Clint, I can't believe you posted that picture. That does it, no more frags for you :rollface: .

mcliffy2 - Thanks for the compliment. I'll send you a pm with the builder's info.

jnarowe - My last tank was only 26" tall and it was rimless, and reaching the bottom was a struggle. I'll probably have to adopt a similar attitude as yours when there are things to deal with at the bottom, since this one is 30" and it's eurobraced to boot.

well, load up on tools and think about putting the rock on little stilts so you can blow detritus out from under them. I also use a plank across my tank to lay on while I mess around with stuff.

Fishypets,

Dude don't start bringing up those posts. Those were some really really really bad times. I don't ever want to see an AEFW on a $100 frag ever again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14345134#post14345134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
true dat.

Definitely true, wouldn't wish pests on any reefkeeper, but those spy glasses are priceless!

Whatever the reason!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14346365#post14346365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
Definitely true, wouldn't wish pests on any reefkeeper, but those spy glasses are priceless!
They're my babe magnets. :smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14348361#post14348361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
They're my babe magnets. :smokin:

Dude with those coke bottle glasses the only "babes" you'll be picking up is the old ladies at the nursing home!:D

Back