Dust cloud...

Lukes_Reef

Well this day is off to a wonderful start....
Woke up to find that my 4 yr old snuck into my room and was playing with the magfloat and now there is a dust cloud. Should I just leave it alone and let it clear on its own or should I turn my powerheads off?

I'd let it subside on its own. Hopefully you won't find any scratches. If you can't keep the float in a spot where it can't be reached by little hands, you'll need to remove it after every use. One tiny piece of sand caught under the wet side and that's all she wrote. I'd keep fish food hidden away too.

Thanks Eileen....moved it to the rear where he can't get to it and the food is up on a shelf. He felt bad, he said he was helping clean the tank. Intentions were innocent but what a mess lol

Thanks Eileen....moved it to the rear where he can't get to it and the food is up on a shelf. He felt bad, he said he was helping clean the tank. Intentions were innocent but what a mess lol

Forget who it was but I think last year someone said their kid dumped their ashtray in their tank?

Maybe I'm wrong, but what a mess lol

I would be most concerned about a scratch. Your inhabitants probably just thought it was stormy out. If its a shallow bed then it could be a little beneficial freeing up any trapped detritus. Dust off corals and rocks with a baster when it settles.

I had the same thing happen with my son, as well as adults who thought it was cool to clean off the algae. They look up and see my face and say "should i not do that?" lol. "yeah probably not a good idea."

I got into the habit of removing mine. I imagine you can get coraline build up on it that could also scratch the glass over time.

No kiddies in our house, so mine stays in the tank, but a good soak in vinegar once in the while keeps it clean. I use a stiff brush to clean the velcro.

Agree, let it settle. My daughter once emptied a can of air freshner in the tank, she thought the fish would like their house to smell nice.

Back