Echidna nebulosa in reef tank

mbnb33

I would have liked to know more about your experience of the relationship betwenne this eel and lysmata amboyensis.

HI:
Thanks for the question.
I don't have any direct experience keeping these two together. I would guess that cleaners are fine w/ fish.....as long as... the fish are brought into the cleaner enviroment and the cleaner has set up a cleaning station. If you add a cleaner shrimp to a tank w/ an established eel and the shrimp is wandering around the tank looking for food, my guess is the eel would eat them.
This is different than adding an eeel to a tank w/ established shrimp.
My case in point is my lions tank. i have never added cleaner fish or shrimp to my tank and many of my lions are many yrs old-ergo they have never seen or used cleaners in the wild. When i did try to add a cleaner shrimp, the lions went and immediately tried to eat them.

So, do you think that I could re-introduce my Echidna that I had to take out of the reef tank because it ate 2 lysmata that I added in the tank with the eel ?

so did you actually see him eat the shrimp?
I ask becuz in my experience these shrimp will sometimes die in the rockwork and you can blame him for it.

Second, I wouldn't introduce any more shrimp w/ this eel. My guess is he knows there for food.
Again the only way i would introduce an eel w/ a shrimp, is if the shrimp is in an established cleaning station and is servicing other fish and then the eel sees this arrangement.

Why do you need a shrimp in w/ the eel?

Yes it happened not even a minute after I added 2 lysmatas in the tank, just behind the front glass :(
Now, I have 4 lysmatas amboyensis to clean my fangs, I would have liked to add the eel back in the tank but I'm frightened of seeing my lysmatas eaten once again :(

Back