echino question

dan10342

just a question... how do you actually feed an echinophyllia? sounds dumb, but my comp cant do searches. says "must be a premeium member to use the search function"

If you take a look at one, you will see little mouths, much larger than polyps on an SPS coral, hence the designation of LPS. Take a look at night, and you will probably find feeding tentacles and/or sweeper tentacles originating from the mouths. Feeding at night would probably be the easiest, as the tentacles are out...

They should be able to eat Brine, Mysis or Cyclopse...

Steve

any chance of survival? got this yesterday on impulse...
100_2345.jpg

(shot this today... so i know it hasn't died overnight)

Looks ok to me. Is it a wtrermelon chalice? I've had frags frow to 3 inches pl;us from chips smaller than that. Pick a spot with moderater light and flow :mount and plac it securely and leave it alone for months if not a year and it should do fine. It doesn't really need much food, particularly if you are feeding fish. If not, a 2x weekly sray of cyclopeeze or coral frenzy will do it.

thanks S Helinski and tmz for the info. i will try feeding it in a few days, after its settled.

yes it came off of randy's tyree watermelon at ARC, or so i was told. doesnt matter to me. it might be small, but i like it.

hopefully this time, my clownfish doesnt play in it. (the clown has taken home in my green open brain... which is large enough to not get ruined).

a while ago (Celtic Reefer) gave me an echino that looked just like this one (only much larger), so i think its the same. i would still have that, but my clowns DID ruin that one.

how long before it will show the green rim? (its got a tiny bit of green on one edge (not visible in pic))

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12886955#post12886955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dan10342
when you say slow, we talking a month for green to appear, or years?
:) I can't really say. It depends on anumber of things. I'd guess a month or two.

it has a full mouth, and a half a mouth. tried feeding it tonight to no avail. i put some shrimp on it, and the tentacles close up. will try again in a few days.

why am i on RC so late?

I'd just leave it in one spot (low light). I've had similar frags grow from tiny eraser size. Since you have a mouth your odds should be better.

I also notice the skeleton has a bit of algae growth so it seems to be done receding. If the skeleton was white I would be more worried.

Great deal for $35 if its the pink steve tyree watermelon.

well the person who was working at ARC that day said it came from randy's tyree watermelon echino. it also looks a lot like the other watermelon i used to have, which was also a tyree watermelon. but i really dont care. i think it looks nice and thats all that matters :)

the guy at ARC also said it was at one point, stung by something, which initiated the receding. but he said it seemed to have stabilized over the past few weeks. im crossing my fingers. when i saw this echino at the store, and asked for a price, i couldn't pass it up. Im guessing the only reason it was so cheap was because of its current state of health. (the feeders show themselves out of the mouths, so things are looking good)

thanks!

today it opened up really nicely. cant really see the skeleton since its inflated now. i would be very happy, only there is only a miniscule amount of green rim. (camera cant get it its so small)

thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

yup. dug up a pic of my old one.
100_1465.jpg

now that i think of it... should have gotten rid of the clown after it started hosting it. i kick myself HARD every time i think about this.
celticreefer also probably kick me hard if he ever saw me again...

this was the dumbest mistake ive ever made in the hobby

Last edited:
Back