EEK! What is this?! ...new snail.

ZOKU

Resident Ninja
OK. I saw this guy last night on my substrate hiding behind the mushroom in my tank. He is FAST! The light scared him away and just now... I happened to be looking at the tank and he is on the front glass! I've NEVER seen him before and it isn't a snail I purchased!!

What is it??

It has really long antennae... the shell on its back is sort of smooth and elongated. Difficult to describe and I couldn't get a good photo of the shell.

He's happy chowing down on any algae he finds on the glass so I'm not going to remove him... unless someone thinks it's harmful. I just find it cool that my tank has been established for a couple of months now... and I'm still finding new lifeforms. :)

001-22.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-15.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14772881#post14772881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by siropa
does it look like only 1/2 the shell is there?

Yeah, exactly...

Thanks, guys...

I did a search and it does resemble a Stomatella. :) He must've hitchhiked in on a frag or some of my live rock from the beginning.

yea def stomatella or "cap snail"... they are quick, i had one or two visible at least that came in on some live rock i bought...now i have like 50 probably more.

I would agree. Not only can the move relatively fast, but the seem to reproduce fast as well. Enjoy!

And it will freak you out if you try to grab one and the tail comes off - they wiggle like crazy so the stoma can get away. They can really fly when they want to go somewhere fast. Check at night with a light - you probably have more!

I've been searching my tank more at night with a flashlight and the things I see scare me. haha.

I don't have a fish at all in my tank right now so the amount of pods walking around is absolutely insane. Shining a light in my AC70 refugium gives me chills... there's gotta be hundreds... perhaps thousands. And those are just the ones I see visible to the naked eye.

I split the fish order with Hella yesterday... so once I get my fish in my tank tomorrow... there's so many pods, I probably won't have to feed him for a month or two. haha. :)

Back