electrical cord gets wet?

lifeform

Is this what happens when your electrical cord gets wet?
113656prong.jpg

I just happened to look behind my aquarium and this is what I found, I didn't actually see any water get the cord wet i'm just guessing. I have a gfi outlet but it didn't trip. Thanks

Last edited:
Basically the new 2006 revisions included a self-testing feature that tests the device for shock protection once a minute to insure safety. If the GFCI fails a test it will flash a red light and no longer provide power.
Considering they cost $8-$10 I would suggest replacing any old units with new ones that fit the new code.

is that a power strip plugged into the three way? I'm more apt to thing you overpowered the amp rating on the three way and melted it out.

BTW, a GFCI won't necessarily trip on that until there's current going to ground.

Do you have a drip loop on the cord? Helps prevent salt water and/or salt creep from getting too close.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12631251#post12631251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
is that a power strip plugged into the three way? I'm more apt to thing you overpowered the amp rating on the three way and melted it out.

BTW, a GFCI won't necessarily trip on that until there's current going to ground.

Right. Looks like it was going from hot to neutral in this pic.

The picture clearly show a dead short between plug ground and external hot surrounding plug and usually your circuit beaker would trip.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12636438#post12636438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BenJL
The picture clearly show a dead short between plug ground and external hot surrounding plug and usually your circuit beaker would trip.

Your right. I just looked closer at it. The top two in the pic appear to be the hot and neutral. A good GFCI setup would have tripped in this case.

Oh. It would take your breaker amp rating to trip in this pics short. (15-20amps...) That could be ugly before it happens. This is one reason I like to wire with more lower amp circuits. Then less larger ones. The breaker trips faster. ie safer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12636476#post12636476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sabbath
Oh. It would take your breaker amp rating to trip in this pics short. (15-20amps...) That could be ugly before it happens. This is one reason I like to wire with more lower amp circuits. Then less larger ones. The breaker trips faster. ie safer.
Or you can do what I do and have your circuit so overloaded that any small fluctuation trips the breaker :rolleyes: :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12636986#post12636986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimwat
Or you can do what I do and have your circuit so overloaded that any small fluctuation trips the breaker :rolleyes: :D

:lol: :rollface:
Good one.

Hi, I tested the oulet and it is wired correctly. I think the three way was overpowered. How would you plug in the various equipment: lights, powerheads, chiller, pumps, uv,,,. How would you plug everything in? I have one dedicated gfci outlet on its own 15 amp circuit breaker. How many power strips could I use in order to be safe? Thanks in advance.

I built 3 DIY GFCI box setups. Then divided loads up. That way if one trips I still have hopefully 2 more still going.

For me it went
-Controller items on one= Lights & heater
-DJ 8 switch box on another for the pumps
-Misc stuff on the third ATO,Controller 24v, Leds...

DSC02988.jpg

GFCIs.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12637618#post12637618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lifeform
Hi, I tested the oulet and it is wired correctly. I think the three way was overpowered. How would you plug in the various equipment: lights, powerheads, chiller, pumps, uv,,,. How would you plug everything in? I have one dedicated gfci outlet on its own 15 amp circuit breaker. How many power strips could I use in order to be safe? Thanks in advance.

find out what the amperage rating of the breaker is to start and don't exceed 2/3 of that rating if possible. then check the amp/wattage rating on the power strip and don't exceed that at all (this is why most of the failed ones fail and melt). most common power strips are in the 1500-1750 watt range and many tanks can exceed that easily. a 15 amp breaker handles around 1600 watts.

Back