Elegance Dead within 2 weeks

this assumes you can verify the chain of custody... virtually impossible to do.. most bulk sales guys will tell you that they are only "moderately " sure of origin of many items.. just too much traffic in this stuff to be sure..

Now if you buy direct or import yourself, then maybe you can verify the chain of custody but most stores will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to make a sale..

I have "All" Elegance corals on my DNB list...

Good point about origin. People got to make a buck. It was really tongue in cheek anyway. Maybe you will take Aussie Elegance off your DNB list when you see people having long term success.

I would LOVE to have one, but for the reasons above I do not... I think they are fantastic looking.. If you thought you had a "survivor" I would gladly look at it in person and make a decision on it... But I have just grown rather objective over questionable corals in captivity..

By the same token, my tanks have evolved into pretty specific "species" tanks... I have found by not mixing 10 or 30 different corals, the few I do keep grow much better in general..

I find more beauty in a "dedicated tank" than one that looks like a bowl of fruit loops... 2 or 3 mature healthy corals looks much better to my eye than 30 frags of assorted "what I could buy" stuff..

For a great Elegance coral, I would put a new tank together...

Well.... I think you should consider it. I will cheer you on for your elegance tank! I have been reducing the number of corals in my tank. I still have a good variety but I keep giving corals away. May have to take out my hairy mushrooms next...was going to but my husband commented that he liked them ....

I keep mushrooms in my Anemone tank... (related ya know :) ) I think many tank keepers get past the "look" of variety and start finding satisfaction in just healthy colonies... I took this approach first with a "pulsing sinularia" that I was told did not exist initially (by an expert that did know what he was talking about).. Later turns out to be a newly described species and I sent him some..

Just like how the hobby evolves as do your tanks...

A friend of mine purchased an elegance last year, not knowing of the issues with their survival. Upon placing it in the tank, his four cleaner shrimp immediately pounced upon it. They never left it for three weeks. Then, suddenly, they got off and have left it alone ever since.

When he got the elegance, it didn't look very good; he attributed that the the shrimp. Today it is thriving and growing.

This examples adds some credence to the theory that problems with elegance corals are due to parasites.

I did not know that shrooms and anemones were related. I decided to stay away from anemones. Do you know if hairy shrooms are chemical fighters? I always thought they had to touch stuff -- from what I read about them. I have a coral about 4 to 5 inches away that seems to be unhappy and I am wondering if it is the hairy shrooms giving off killer chems....

There is some debate about Aleopathy (chemical warefare) but it is pretty much accepted that all have some form or another..

I think mushroom are pretty darn safe as a general rule (at least to other corals) I do know for a fact that the giants will eat fish and quit readily at that...

I would think there is a better chance that the coral has issues with flow or lights over the aleopathy with the mushroom..

You may want to run some carbon if you are in any doubt.. (I run carbon always)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12198762#post12198762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjr300
A friend of mine purchased an elegance last year, not knowing of the issues with their survival. Upon placing it in the tank, his four cleaner shrimp immediately pounced upon it. They never left it for three weeks. Then, suddenly, they got off and have left it alone ever since.

When he got the elegance, it didn't look very good; he attributed that the the shrimp. Today it is thriving and growing.

This examples adds some credence to the theory that problems with elegance corals are due to parasites.
would have been nice to verify for sure.. As the experts can not really agree, it is possible that a hobbyist could provide some good data.. Always a chance they were cleaning dead tissue etc... But obviously found something they liked huh? :)

Hi -- sorry for the delay in responding -- had to climb on planes for 24 hours! Anyway -- I did not think the mush's were chemical fighters. I do run carbon but unfortunately it's in a bag in my sump as I do not have room for anything else. I have the tank and pumps to add a basement sump and fuge but have to re-arrange the basement first.

It is interesting that bit about the cleaner shrimps. Gall crabs have come up many times as problem parasites but my understanding is that they damage one spot on the coral.

but going back to the eighties? Where the hell is PaulB... only guy I know here that likely had any experience back then.. but I bet a lot has changed...

Eightees? I have amphipods older than that. :eek1:
I have socks older than most of the members here.
And I still use a UG filter and dolomite anyone have a problem with that? :lol:

I not only remember Kennedy but Eisenhower too. He was after Lincoln.

Corals, all corals should live longer than we do. If they don't, it is our fault, not the corals. If the thing lives for a few years in our tank, it should live forever but it seems that our tanks are not as stable as the sea. Corals (and fish) in a captive envirnment are never as healthy as you see in the sea. If you do any diving and I don't mean resort diving, I mean real diving where you have all the time you want and you can lay on the bottom with two tanks for two hours to observe something close up then you will see that "wild" corals for the most part are very healthy. In our tanks they are living but these fragile animals never learned how to adapt very well to changing conditions especially the alien conditions in our tanks. We have fake sunlight, fake water, wierd circulation, changing calcium levels, obscure food and overwhelming pollution.
It is amazing that any corals survive at all in our tanks. Not too many years ago there were no corals for sale anywhere.
Not even in the store in Manhattan mentioned (It was Aquarium Stock Company, right near the Trade Center)
They were the first store in NYC to get salt water animals. I was one of the first people to but them. That was in 1971.
I also can only keep elegance corals for a few years and I know why. In my case anyway I have water issues, zinc actually but if it were not for that, I am sure some other accident or anomely would kill them. Underwater in the sea is a very stable ecosystem, chemically speaking, I am not talking tsunami's or thyphoons which are actually a good thing.
Another problem with corals is that they are constantly at war with each other chemically. Those chemicals were designed to kill other corals that invade their space. In the sea, they constantly get washed away but where do they go in a tank? That skimmer will not remove all traces of it and even if it does, how long do these substances stay in the water? I don't have a clue but I am sure it is an irritant. We also mix different animals from different seas. Maybe there is a reason why corals live where they do.
The seas have been there even longer than I have been but you don't find corals evenly mixed in all the oceans, why not?
Maybe there is something in different places that they need or something that annoys them. I doubt we will ever know all the reasons why Elegance corals die or why gonopora which do not come from the most pristine places are hard to keep for many years. I have a hard time with hammer corals but bubble corals grow like weeds, how come?
Anyway, have fun and have a great day.
Paul
My tank, circa 1970
13094Old_tank_and_me.jpg

Back