Eliminating ich via temperature

That's not a bad idea. I may have to do that.

Unfortunately, to date, all my attempts to train my clown fish to defend the QT area with machine gun fire have ended in failure.

And don't even get me started on the cost and complexity of engineering a trigger system a clown can operate. This may prove a viable alternative.

Well yea, that's what you use mantis shrimp for, they have pincers to operate the trigger! Reloading is the only problem for them so you have to make sure you teach them not to miss!:bigeyes:

It's only for TTM and a temp QT tank, no point in wasting RODI (not to mention the waste water produced!). My DT will continue to use RODI for coral health and to discourage algae growth :)
If it was a permanent QT I'd use RODI though :p

Dumping 20 gallons of RODI over 12 days seems like a waste now that I'm thinking about it actually

its more about safety for the fish, you just don't know what is in that water that might impact them. very sensitive. i lost some expensive freshwater fish once due to pollutants in the local water following a flood. i started running new water through carbon after that. for saltwater fish, you really want the finest purity.

plus, assuming you use the same salt as your DT water, your fish will be already acclimated to the conditions.

its more about safety for the fish, you just don't know what is in that water that might impact them. very sensitive. i lost some expensive freshwater fish once due to pollutants in the local water following a flood. i started running new water through carbon after that. for saltwater fish, you really want the finest purity.

plus, assuming you use the same salt as your DT water, your fish will be already acclimated to the conditions.

Thankfully we have good water in my area, tap water from my kitchen sink tests only about 60ppm with my TDS meter. If I had well water or had a high TDS I'd probably not use tap (even for drinking). The only thing in my water I know of, besides some phosphates and a small amount of chlorine (which the prime should eliminate) is iron. Is this still a problem? (honestly asking)

Contaminates are the risk. Just isn't worth the negligible cost and waste to risk it IMO.

Contaminates are the risk. Just isn't worth the negligible cost and waste to risk it IMO.

If my Fresh Water Angels, Tetras and African Dwarf Frogs have been good with it for over 2 years I'd imagine the salt water fish would be okay with it for a few months though, right? (again, honestly asking, not being a dingle-berry!)
Would it be better to use Safe Start instead of Prime? That's what I use with my fresh water guys.

the best luck ive had with controlling ich in my tank is a healthy dose of garlic xtreme straight to the water every day when the ich is not vissible on the fish..and feeding the fish garlic too. the allicin seems to work

If my Fresh Water Angels, Tetras and African Dwarf Frogs have been good with it for over 2 years I'd imagine the salt water fish would be okay with it for a few months though, right? (again, honestly asking, not being a dingle-berry!)
Would it be better to use Safe Start instead of Prime? That's what I use with my fresh water guys.

There is almost nothing to lose by using RO and a lot to lose by not. There is just no rational reason not to use RO. Your call but you will be one of the few that uses tap water in the hobby for very good reasons. Maybe I'm just not fully understanding where you are seeing the benefits of tap water? Is it cost? Water waste? For cost we are talking about pennies. For water waste you can water flower beds with it for a win/win.

Re: contaminants, you never know when they might occur. I kept fish for 3+ years with tap water before one water change with contaminated water wiped out all my fish. Not saying this is likely but obviously likely enough that it happened to me, just bad luck.

You will probably be fine but why risk it?

Never used safe start before, but as long as it detox's ammonia and removes chlorine (if using tap water) then I'm sure it is fine. Prime and AmQuel are the most common products referred to on the forum IME.

Garlic again for treating ich:hmm3::worried2::sad2:: there are hundreds of threads and more than a few articles discrediting that notion. It doesn't have anything to do with elevated temperature which is the subject of this thread.

Tap water is a bit off topic too. Clean dechlorinated tap water is probably ok for fish only set ups but extremely small amounts of contaminants such as free heavy metals like copper for example can be lethal in a reef tank.

Garlic again for treating ich:hmm3::worried2::sad2:: there are hundreds of threads and more than a few articles discrediting that notion. It doesn't have anything to do with elevated temperature which is the subject of this thread.

Tap water is a bit off topic too. Clean dechlorinated tap water is probably ok for fish only set ups but extremely small amounts of contaminants such as free heavy metals like copper for example can be lethal in a reef tank.

This. Also, recent research indicates that garlic is bad for fish long term even ignoring the fact that it has no impact on any parasite including ich.

Back