emergency fish ICU setup tonight

bloodypeasant

So, tonight it looks like ill be setting up my first qt/hosptial tank!* And my girlfriend thought i was crazy for keeping all this spare fishtank stuff around.**

My snowflake clown has been acting lethargic and hasnt been eating as well.* Well today when i got home i noticed white specs all over his body.* So tonight im in a rush to get him situated.* Heres the plan.

Spare 55 gal with
heater
some rock and decorations (for fish cover)
internal filter
Spare led light

Fill tank with water from dt and get him out asap!

Any recommendations?* Ill be checking this hourly for input!

Also, what should the peocess be for tratment tomorrow? I know about copper an hypo, but how do i get him to hypo? Reduce the salinity by how much each day?

I'd suggest doing the tank transfer method to get your clown free of ich:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

Do you have other fish in your tank? If so, those fish will have to be removed and treated as well. Your display now contains ich and needs to remain fallow for 10-12 weeks in order for the parasite to die off.

Any further purchases should be quarantined so you don't have to go through this again.

Best of luck.

Thanks. Heres the kicker. Im going on a week long vacation at the end of july. So doing a qt setup throughout that period is not wanted. Yet, i want to do whats best for my fish. Such a pickle im in

Tank transfer to cure ich is only 14 days. If you put your treated/cured fish back in the tank before the fallow period is over, they will be reinfected.

**** so id have to get another tank. Also, should i do this with all of my fish? I have the following:

Pajama cardinal
snowflake clown
tomini tang
Diamond back goby
midas blenny
sixline wrasse

Any of these fish a "no copper" species? Other solutions aside from tank transfer?

So, tonight it looks like ill be setting up my first qt/hosptial tank!* And my girlfriend thought i was crazy for keeping all this spare fishtank stuff around.**

My snowflake clown has been acting lethargic and hasnt been eating as well.* Well today when i got home i noticed white specs all over his body.* So tonight im in a rush to get him situated.* Heres the plan.

Spare 55 gal with
heater
some rock and decorations (for fish cover)
internal filter
Spare led light

Fill tank with water from dt and get him out asap!

Any recommendations?* Ill be checking this hourly for input!

Also, what should the peocess be for tratment tomorrow? I know about copper an hypo, but how do i get him to hypo? Reduce the salinity by how much each day?

How do you think my girl feels? Lol

Wow, idk how she feels... but id feel like a king (aka not a bloody peasant). Well i got my qt tank about 1/4 filled (my rodi is only 75 gpd). So the clown is in and im gonna call it a night. The poor guy is soo lethargic it just took one little net scoop. Ill figure what steps to take from here on tomorrow. Luckily im on vaca from work this week so i can devote as much time as needed to this situation.

Not sure what it was. Clown is dead. The heater in the qt failed (i tested throroughly to heatup my rodi). Pretty bummed. None of the other fish are showing symptoms at this point but i will continue to get my qt established so i may treat them properly

I'd read Snorvich's "Fish Parasites" sticky at the top of the disease forum. This sounds like brooklynella, because of the quick death. All of your fish have been exposed to the parasite and need to be treated while your DT stays fishless for a time, dependent on the parasite involved. When this is over, quarantine all new fish to prevent it from happening again.

Well i think the death is more related to my equipment failure. The tanks dropped from about 77degrees to 69 overnight. :/

It could have been brook. He had heavy breathing, white specs and washed out color, appeared thin, didnt eat, was very lethargic, stayed at the top of the tank during the day, sat at the bottom during night. No open lesions or film on his skin. I first noticed odd behavior about three days ago (heavy breathing, sitting at top of tank).

Back