Engineer goby question

lessans

How long does one of these fish typically take to mature into an adult? I want to see one change colors, but I will only have my tank setup until summer 2007. That's the summer before I go to college and I'm not taking the tank with me.

They start changing color pattern quickly, depending on age when purchased, but it takes years to reach full size.

I have no idea what time frame it is, but they are still a small size when the change starts to occur.

buddy of mine has one in his tank. he has had it for maybe 2 years. It is like 12 inches long. Cool fish. Wish my tank was bigger so I could have one. It's color is a blackish with a yellow strip.

If I want a small school how many minimum would you say I should get? Considering I have a 65 gal tank would I be alright just putting one Engineer goby in my tank?

I have one about 8" long. He is the coolest fish. Before, when I rearranged the live rock, he spent about a week building tunnel systems under the rock in my 90 gal. I would often see him poke his head out and drop a mouthful of sand much like an excavator!!! The name engineer really fits these guys. The color of mine is black with offwhite to yellow spots running down his body. He almost looks like a sea snake. If you can support him, I highly recommend one.

Well, I talked to my LFS and they said just make sure your base rock is sturdy since I put the base rock on top of the ls and not put the base rock directly on the glass bottom. However, I have 3 large rocks for my base rock. 2 of them pretty much have flat and wide bases, but the third rock has the "GENERAL STRUCTURE" of an upside down U. So the thrid rock makes a cave with the substrate. I think the base rock measures out to be 25 lbs . With a total of 65 lbs of live rock, do you think my rock work is sturdy enough for me to put an engineer goby in my tank?

i have 5 juvies in my 30 gallon sump, been almost half a year, not maturing yet... their pretty cool excpect they will make sand storms and cover ur rock with sand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6532716#post6532716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by No Worries1979
I think you'll be fine lessans. If your rock is stacked, it will make you aquascape more sturdy.

Thanks for the positive feedback, No Worries1979.

I have 3 in my 65 gallon tank. I put them in like one year ago as small juveniles. They have morphed into adults with vertical gold bars rather than the horizontal white ones. They are about 6-7 inches long. One thing I did notice about them was that when one started changing into its adult form all of them did. They reached the adult stage after a couple of months and all at relatively the same time.

All the time but I only have like 1 1/2 inches of sand down and its uneven. I watch them constantly shoveling it around with their mouths and cleaning out their burrows.

Back