Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

Ah, gotcha. I'll look into that.

Other than the light, how are you liking the 525 after having it for a while? something you would recommend?

Yes I would recommend it. I really have nothing bad to say about the tank. Build quality is excellent. The only complaint I have is the gate valve that Red Sea uses. It is not the best and for the price of these tanks they should look into something a bit better.

Tank is approaching the 6 month mark and sticks couldn't look better...

These were shot under just the royal blue leds from the RB XHO.

These are amazing! I love SPS tanks, tried some green slimers in the past, didn't go so well. Guess i'll just stick to the squishy's :)

Reefer,

Very nice scape and setup. How long is it taking your stuff to grow over frag plugs? I will do anything in my power to not have those in my tank lol.

I have the Aurora but am considering getting a spectra and perhaps use the spectra during the non summer months and then the LED/t5 during the summer. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, what coral is this?
7105f6d2c5af7e3ab07b0923577110c6.jpg

Thanks, and nice setup.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two huge bummers first the hurricane and the second is breaking down the tank and selling everything. I am sadden by this news. I am sorry for your lose.

So no long ago my 300 crashed which is why I started this tank... Well hurricane Irma decided to ruin my tank.*

The zone I live in Cape Coral, FL was put under mandatory evacuation on Sat morning. Based on this and the news from previous days we had decided to leave since we did not want to risk staying with a 15 month*old baby and another little one that was due in about 4 weeks. On Wednesday, several days before Irma was supposed to make landfall in the Keys I order a pair of Ecotech Battery Backups in hopes that they could keep some circulation in the tank until I was able to get back home. I paid for overnight shipping. Thursday morning comes around and I check the tracking information. First thing I see is "delivery day unavailable" when I see their reason why it said "Due to the impact of the hurricane, deliveries are delayed at this time." Keep in mind Irma had still not made landfall in Cuba when this happened so Im not sure what impacts UPS was talking about. Long story short we left Saturday morning and power went out that same day in the afternoon or at least I think thats when it went out as thats when I got a message from Fusion saying my Apex was disconnected. I was able to return home Monday night but it was already too late.

Funny thing is my neighbors across the street never lost power. We lost power due to a tree limb from the corner house on my street falling on the power line. It took LCEC 8 days to come and reconnect the line. Even if I had stay behind for the tank I don't think it would have survived 8 days in this FL heat with low flow and no lights.

This is the last picture of the tank. I have decided to take a long break from the hobby as I have no desire to restart the tank. I will be back someday but for now I have other things more important to take care of.

IMG_3854.jpg

Last edited:
That really sucks man, I'm sorry about all of that. I hope your home is ok in general. Just out of curiosity, how did the water level get so low?

That really sucks man, I'm sorry about all of that. I hope your home is ok in general. Just out of curiosity, how did the water level get so low?

Yes house is fine, my zone didn't get hit as hard as it we all thought it would get hit.

I was in the process of draining the tank when I took the picture.

Man I'm lost of words for ya. My buddy had to go buy 3 chiller and upgrade his 3 ecotech return pumps to keep his tanks under 82 degrees.

I'm also at a loss for words. Your tank was probably a top 3 for me on this forum and based on the tank size maybe my favorite. I'm so sorry to see this picture. I lost my tank 20 years ago and it was devastating. I didn't get back in until about 2 years ago. I wish you luck and hope to see anew build some time soon.

Chris

First off, let me say that this was one of the most enjoyable build threads I have gone through in a long time. You have the correct level of attention to detail (not OCD but just right), you walk us through all the modifications and why you did them, and overall it is just a great learning experience. I am truly sorry about what happened and would really love to see you back in the game at some point.
I am sorry that I had just caught up with this thread :sad1:

I really appreciated your input on the P4 vs APEX. I am in Europe and never had a controller before. After much reading I went with the P4 given GHL is in Europe (so I expected good customer service) and overall everyone raved about its reliability.

Well, I never owned an APEX but I sure do want one now... I am very disappointed. The guidance and instructions are simply appalling. Even the how to videos tend to be outdated once the firmware changes and the general experience is frustrating and counts per intuitive. Wifi and myGHL are borderline useless... I mean, you have to save a file in order to be able to see a simple chart??

The interface is also awful so what good is a controller that you can almost never access, does not notify you of anything and just navigating through it is a pain??

It ends up just being a very expensive monitor... :headwallblue:

Sorry about the rant. Back to you. Please come back :wavehand:

Back