Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

Well everything in the tank is doing well after the temp raising to almost 84 Degrees! Fish are fine too, the white spots on the tang are no gone and he has not stopped eating, if anything he has a bigger appetite now

This pictures were taken in the last few days. Also the orange is coming back on the WD.

Enjoy!

Very impressive!

I was planning to run spectras on my tank as well, but because of the dimensions, [40x30x20(tall)] I felt I would have to run two 250W 24" units perpendicular to the tank. I was afraid it would look a bit messy with two fixtures and went with a 8x39WT5/Led hybrid instead. I like my light, but still miss that halide look.

Do you have a FTS showing the new lamp?
Loved the way you connected the LEDs btw. The Spectra can be a bit annoying when it comes to "glare". With the LEDs mounted like this, I can imagine it actually blocks some of that light(?) (Yeah, I stare directly at the bulbs every now and then - I'm that stupid)
With all the T5 and halides on, how well do you notice the LEDs?

Very impressive!

I was planning to run spectras on my tank as well, but because of the dimensions, [40x30x20(tall)] I felt I would have to run two 250W 24" units perpendicular to the tank. I was afraid it would look a bit messy with two fixtures and went with a 8x39WT5/Led hybrid instead. I like my light, but still miss that halide look.

Do you have a FTS showing the new lamp?
Loved the way you connected the LEDs btw. The Spectra can be a bit annoying when it comes to "glare". With the LEDs mounted like this, I can imagine it actually blocks some of that light(?) (Yeah, I stare directly at the bulbs every now and then - I'm that stupid)
With all the T5 and halides on, how well do you notice the LEDs?
I actually have a friend who has the same light as I do minus the ReefBrites on a 60x32x22 and the fixture lights up the tank pretty good, a lot better that one would imagine given the wide dimension. However the hybrid you went with is a good light as well.

These are the only FTS I have at the moment... they are from May a day or two after I installed the light, A LOT has changed since then. Im horrible at taking FTS so they are not the best. The Reefbrites do block some of the glare plus the fixture is almost at eye level when standing in front of the tank so that helps too.

Dude - wow. Incredible pics!

I am looking to set up the same tank this winter, and was wondering about the lights. Curious to why you ditched the T5 unit and went with the current MH/T5/LED set-up? I currently have 250w Radium & 4 T5s on my 40g and love it, but I was thinking of trying LED and T5s on the larger setup for bulb replacement and energy consumption reasons. I love the look of MHs so I'm very undecided.

I am looking to set up the same tank this winter, and was wondering about the lights. Curious to why you ditched the T5 unit and went with the current MH/T5/LED set-up? I currently have 250w Radium & 4 T5s on my 40g and love it, but I was thinking of trying LED and T5s on the larger setup for bulb replacement and energy consumption reasons. I love the look of MHs so I'm very undecided.

Main reason was that I went with a fixture that was too big. This tank is 22.6 inches front to back and the ATI Powermodule was 22" front to back. I was getting a lot of light outside of the tank making my living room unlivable lol. If I had gone with the 4 bulb instead of 8 it would have worked perfectly.

Main reason was that I went with a fixture that was too big. This tank is 22.6 inches front to back and the ATI Powermodule was 22" front to back. I was getting a lot of light outside of the tank making my living room unlivable lol. If I had gone with the 4 bulb instead of 8 it would have worked perfectly.

Ah, gotcha. I'll look into that.

Other than the light, how are you liking the 525 after having it for a while? something you would recommend?

Back