ETSS Skimmer Club!

Thanks Ostrow, think I'll try the salt bucket idea. What does the ping pong ball mechanism look like? I did a quick searcha and wasn't able to find any DIY plans for this.

look at the PM site and you will see the stop/ping pong ball thing.

I have now turned the pump back up full tilt and it started producing some wet foam so I have started to slowly crank the air inputs down.

Do other skimmers skim all the time like the PM skimmers. Just wondering because mine will not skim for days sometimes.

I love the ETSS skimmers as my 800 is a beast but getting tired of the inconsistancey and maybe going to look at others now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14616005#post14616005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tav
Thanks Ostrow, think I'll try the salt bucket idea. What does the ping pong ball mechanism look like? I did a quick searcha and wasn't able to find any DIY plans for this.

Waste_Collector.jpg

Thanks Jose!

One issue with Jose's drawing is that the ball must not plug the bottom or air won't escape! I have a piece of mesh glued to the bottom of the pipe and the ball rests on that until water pushes it up to close the opening.

You might want to chime in here as people seem to be aiming to restrict the air at the input. I'm not so sure that's the way to go.

Re: Very Dissatisfied with my ETSS 600

Re: Very Dissatisfied with my ETSS 600

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14599639#post14599639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Madjack
Mines been working for about 3 yrs now on a 180g and I've emptied my 1 gallon milk jug maybe twice. I don't get the massive amount of bubbles that I see everyone else has.

My plumbing is as follows:

sump ----> Mag 12 ----> 3' 3/4" id hose --->skimmer raised 4" off the floor ----> sump

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
149493ETSS_600.jpg

Is the outlet on that skimmer stepped down to 1 inch pipe? If so that is a restriction to getting the skimmer to working properly. I would also recommend changing out the ball valve for a gate valve so it is easier to dial in once it is setup and working good for you.

I have mine plumbed into the sump in an area where the water level never goes past 7 inches in depth. This tends to keep the water level proper in the skimmer box. The bulkhead in the sump is at the base/bottom on the wall of the sump tank.

I also looked over the picture twice to get a good look. I think it also looks like the water level is too high in the skimmer tower. It should be at the base of the black reaction box. I would switch from a Mag 12 to a Blueline 40 you will really kick butt with that pump on that skimmer. There really is no comparison between the Mag drive and Blueline pumps with these skimmers. They just have the punch that these need.

These skimmers will sometimes stop skimming for some time. This is normal operation, they keep the water clean and then pretty much wait for dirt to remove. LOL This is one of the awesome things about these skimmers, no worries of whether or not they are working or if the tank is clean enough. You can actually feed more and worry less with the beastly skimmers.

JMO. Thanks all!

Skimmer MOD

Skimmer MOD

I love these so much I decided to turn a Seaclone into a downdraft ETSS style skimmer. I am using it on my frag tank. Boy it works great. Here is a picture about 20 mins after setup.

100_0533.jpg

And here it is about a week after install on the frag tank.

100_0554.jpg

Well I kicked the pump into full gear. I went and got some 1/2" quick connect fittings for 3/8 plastic hose and then ran those to a "t" then to one of the air valves. This way I can fine tune both chambers for the air intake at one time. I mounted the air valve where I could manage it better. Now things are working out and getting where they need to be as far as skimmate. Yes 3/8" hose is more than enough

I will l see how things work out.

As for the comparison between mag pumps. Well I am a stickler for things being right and I looked at the specs over and over.

You have to have a pressure rated pump. When AE Tech specs the pumps for the skimmers...there is a reason. Otherwise you will always have inconsistent performance. Thanks everyone for the help and input

I have the ETSS 700 skimmer for many years and pour freshwater down the air intake to clean out some of the salt build up. First time I ever done this. I thought it was a good idea at that time. Now for the last 3 weeks, the skimmer has not produce any skimmate. Has this happen to anyone?

My question with salt creep is that if you have the air hose pulling air from the the outside(freshair) then will you still get salt creep?. I may take the single 3/8" line and run it out side.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14622268#post14622268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bhdmc
I have the ETSS 700 skimmer for many years and pour freshwater down the air intake to clean out some of the salt build up. First time I ever done this. I thought it was a good idea at that time. Now for the last 3 weeks, the skimmer has not produce any skimmate. Has this happen to anyone?

Check air hose, check if you have too few or too many bio-ball (little more than half way filled in the bio-ball column is good start). If pump is not strong enough. The outtake pressure (is too much pressure or fluctuated pressure) It's very unusual not to have skimmate for 3 weeks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14622771#post14622771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sunsetSPS
Check air hose, check if you have too few or too many bio-ball (little more than half way filled in the bio-ball column is good start). If pump is not strong enough. The outtake pressure (is too much pressure or fluctuated pressure) It's very unusual not to have skimmate for 3 weeks.

Using Iwaki 40RLT water pump(recommended pump). Bio-ball amount should be fine since I never open up this chamber and it did skim in the past. I just add freshwater to the air intake and it went down hill after that.

I would check and make sure there isn't a clog somewhere in the air intake. A chunk of salt creep could be preventing the skimmer from pulling the required amount of air.

I also change my bioballs every 6 months to ensure great reaction between water and air. The older the balls the less effective they seem to be. The more dirt that builds up prevents the mixing between O2 and H2O.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14578074#post14578074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
See Jose's (jdieck) posts here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/foru...ge=25&highlight=etss water level&pagenumber=2

i am also interested in were you guys have your water levels. this post wont work for me. i just want some help i am running my 800 with a blueline 55 and it seems my skimmate production isnt up to par. it is eather no skimmate or very clear like diluted ice tea. by the way it is on my 210 gal. reef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14627611#post14627611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yasmar01
i am also interested in were you guys have your water levels. this post wont work for me. i just want some help i am running my 800 with a blueline 55 and it seems my skimmate production isnt up to par. it is eather no skimmate or very clear like diluted ice tea. by the way it is on my 210 gal. reef
When that happens it is usually a sign of unstable flow. Wither the inlet pressure varies (which is not a usual case with a good pump) or the most usual is that something in the skimmer outlet is changing the back pressure on the output line. Things that can do that: Outlet submerged while the level in the sump changes. Too many fittings on the outlet, outlet not stright andslightly sloped down, output adjustment valve (The one to adjust the foam ) have a loose seat or gate etc.

yes..i have it in my sump and the water level does change. the only problem is i have it as high out of the sump as i can the outlet is submerged about 11/2-2". by the way i have about 20 bio balls in each tower if i take more out wont i get more air and thicker foam?

Can you put a stand under the skimmer to get the outlet above the water line? You can use a bucket, eggcrate, anything to raise the skimmer above the water. That will help a lot.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14628537#post14628537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yasmar01
yes..i have it in my sump and the water level does change. the only problem is i have it as high out of the sump as i can the outlet is submerged about 11/2-2". by the way i have about 20 bio balls in each tower if i take more out wont i get more air and thicker foam?
That is the issue, as far asthe outlet is submerged, when the water level in the sump rises there is increased back pressure in the outlet and the skimmer will overflow. When the water level drops there will be less back pressure and the foam column will drop so no skimmate is produced.
As mentioned above by Ostrow, see if you can further rise the skimmer above the water level.

i have it on a stand and it is as high as i can get it due to it being under my stand. is there anything else i could do? i guess i have to install it out of the sump. the problem is that i use my 210 as a room divider between the living room and kitchen. im sure my guests dont want to see a bucket full of skimmate and a protein skimmer while i make dinner.....lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14628871#post14628871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yasmar01
i have it on a stand and it is as high as i can get it due to it being under my stand. is there anything else i could do? i guess i have to install it out of the sump. the problem is that i use my 210 as a room divider between the living room and kitchen. im sure my guests dont want to see a bucket full of skimmate and a protein skimmer while i make dinner.....lol
There is something you can try but in some cases do not work that well but it will help. Pipe the outlet in a way that is pointed up and the sideways out of the water. It will create more back pressure but as far as the back pressure is constant you shall still be able to adjust the skimmer.

Back