ETSS Skimmer Club!

i will try that when i get home. should i take some of the bio balls out to get more air intake? it seams like i have always been getting wet skimmate

well i tried the elbow...so far so good we will see in a couple of days if it works. if not i will have to figure a way to install it out of the sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14632519#post14632519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yasmar01
well i tried the elbow...so far so good we will see in a couple of days if it works. if not i will have to figure a way to install it out of the sump.
It shall work with no modification to the number of bioballs as far as the outlet is always above the water surface as the level of the sump increases or decreases.

I have a question maybe some of you experts can answer. I have a Reef Devil Deluxe. I read that you could produce more foam by removing some bio balls. I tried it...only added 9 of the 12 small bio balls. It started to overskim like crazy. So I just put back the remaining 3 and my skimmer is still over skimming. I dont know what I did. It worked fine moments before now it overskims with the gate valve fully open. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Josh

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14642439#post14642439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starsbravo
I have a question maybe some of you experts can answer. I have a Reef Devil Deluxe. I read that you could produce more foam by removing some bio balls. I tried it...only added 9 of the 12 small bio balls. It started to overskim like crazy. So I just put back the remaining 3 and my skimmer is still over skimming. I dont know what I did. It worked fine moments before now it overskims with the gate valve fully open. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Josh
Usually overskimming is either an issue of plugged or backpressured outlet or too much inlet flow. Try also checking the inlet nozzle and air inlet port for buildup of scale or salt creep.
Finally another potential cause of overskimming is the use of certain water conditioners specially dechlorinators or similar conditioners and clarifiers that contain either aloe, a fish skin protective coating agent or a polimer to aglomerate floating particles.

Both the inlet nozzle and air port or clean...Nothing backing up the system and I have not introduced any conditioners at all....So I dont know...I noticed that when I put my finger over the air port it dies down and starts acting normal...any other suggestions?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14645050#post14645050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starsbravo
Both the inlet nozzle and air port or clean...Nothing backing up the system and I have not introduced any conditioners at all....So I dont know...I noticed that when I put my finger over the air port it dies down and starts acting normal...any other suggestions?
Check that the top flange sealing O ring is in place, seated properly and that the flange screws are tight.
If reducing the water inlet flow does not help, then you can try installing means to partially restrict the air at the air port (like an adjustable valve installed at the skimmate drain or optimally at the air vent of a waste collector).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14645222#post14645222 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bulldogger2008
how do you post a picture next to your thread like i see some of y'all doing?

Upload the photo to your RC gallery or any other photo site. Get the link to the photo from the photo properties and then paste the link on the post and enclose it between the IMG and /IMG tags enclosed in [] brackets.

jdieck...I have no idea what you are talking about..flange...o-ring...I never seen such on my Reef Devil...can you explain exactly where you are talking about. Thanks

Josh

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14646910#post14646910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starsbravo
jdieck...I have no idea what you are talking about..flange...o-ring...I never seen such on my Reef Devil...can you explain exactly where you are talking about. Thanks

Josh
I am taking about the top cover of the collection cup and it's corresponding O ring. If there is air leak from the collection cup other than the air/skimmate outlet, there could also be a cause of overflowing.

There isnt a o-ring...never came with one...it worked fine without it before if there was supposed to be one. No other visible leaks...I would let it run and see if it is just going through a phase but it over skims like crazy and I cant let it do that. Cant go without a skimmer for too much longer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14647234#post14647234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starsbravo
There isnt a o-ring...never came with one...it worked fine without it before if there was supposed to be one. No other visible leaks...I would let it run and see if it is just going through a phase but it over skims like crazy and I cant let it do that. Cant go without a skimmer for too much longer.
Got it, It shall be the unit with the sealed top collection cup so there is not screwed top cover and no O ring is needed.
So your alternative is to install an air regulation valve at the air inlet (Top of the column) or at the outlet (The skimmate drain line)

Other thing that you may try if your installation of the skimmer is external to the sump and the installation of the outlet looks like picture 3 in this manual?
http://superskimmer.com/Manuals_Cat/RD_D InstrQstart.pdf

If so the water level in the sump may be acting as back pressure to the outlet.
Here is a mod that you can try to keep a constant pressure in the outlet even if the water level in the sump changes:

18470Disch_Pipe.gif

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14647234#post14647234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starsbravo
Cant go without a skimmer for too much longer.

Not sure what pump you are running, I am guessing a mag 7 or 9.5. I would just throttle back the pump until it quit overflowing. Then, slowly ramp it back to where you are now over time.

I have bought on Reef Central but have not received a ReefDevil and am wondering what to expect and maybe some pointers . I was told it is coming with a mag 7 pump and it has the round housing . Thanks .

well i installed the elbow like jdieck reccomended but i dont think its working i have adjusted the skimmer with the gate valve slowly over the course of a few days and it is not skimming at all. i guess i have to rework my install and install it outside the sump. i just dont know how i am going to do it. i dont feel like drilling my sump anymore than it already is

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14651939#post14651939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yasmar01
well i installed the elbow like jdieck reccomended but i dont think its working i have adjusted the skimmer with the gate valve slowly over the course of a few days and it is not skimming at all. i guess i have to rework my install and install it outside the sump. i just dont know how i am going to do it. i dont feel like drilling my sump anymore than it already is
Do you get any foam on the riser? If it does hwo high does it gets?
It might be just that the output gate vale needs to be closed a bit more?

i could close it more but at that pont the skimate is basically clear water. i have the pump cut back to about halfway. i read the manual and they say if you

Back