ETSS Skimmer Club!

anyone running the etss 1400 where are you running your water level in the tube to get propper skimming. I have tried it in several different spots but cant seem to find that sweet spot. Also you have a problem with it shutting down at times?

I just cant seem to get mine set up right, and its been running for about 3 weeks now and I am getting very little out of it.

thanks

anyone running the etss 1400 where are you running your water level in the tube to get propper skimming. I have tried it in several different spots but cant seem to find that sweet spot. Also you have a problem with it shutting down at times?

I just cant seem to get mine set up right, and its been running for about 3 weeks now and I am getting very little out of it.

thanks

Take a picture of your skimmer set-up and share it with us. Mine kicked in inside 3 days. I am running an Iwaki 100 and the drain is above the sump level. The elevated drain allows un-obstructed flow out of the skimmer.

I am running a reeflo snapper gold rated at 2600 gph with a max head of 11ft, as you can see in the pictures this is about 2 days worth, and I get very little bubbles working. Once and awhile it will get heavy then stop, It will take a good 3 hours to start making bubble again.

This is with the skimmer working
skimmer.jpg

Plumbing into my sump/refuge
pipeintosump.jpg

flowintosump.jpg

Elevation looks good. The pump you have, with the effective head you are under 1500 gpm +/-. Might be that. I would be sure to open the drain gate valve wide open & wait a couple days. Let the skimmer chill. Once it is left alone, you may be surprised at the results. Keep your hands out of the tank during this period as the oils on your skin seriously affect skimming, as do feedings. Hold off until it has a chance to get its groove on.

I run an iwaki 100rlt. I ran it for ~ 1 month on a 70rlt and was able to tune it well & get good skimmate. Flow rate may not be your problem though. The 100 rlt pump kicks A$$ on a 350 gallon system.

I will let it run wide open for a day or so, and then see how it does I was thinking about tearing it all down and putting it back together again to see if that would do anything maybe a bad seal or something. My reeflo is only running the skimmer I have another pump that runs the tank.

I'm also thinking that the pump may be your problem. The other thing that could be is the bio-balls could be clogged in your downdraft tubes. The water level is way to high, you should have 1" max that you can see. I cannot see the water on mine, only bubbles but I run a very high output pump.

I'm also thinking that the pump may be your problem. The other thing that could be is the bio-balls could be clogged in your downdraft tubes. The water level is way to high, you should have 1" max that you can see. I cannot see the water on mine, only bubbles but I run a very high output pump.

which pump do you run?

When the Drain line is over Three Feet, you need to install a vent Tee, per Gary Pics on his ETSS 1000 on his Web Site. I have found you sometimes need it even with less. You Have way to many fittings on the output, causing back Pressure.
Finally, the water level is WAY too High in your skimmer!!!!! It should be only a bit over the Black Box.
I've used ETSS Skimmers for a very Long time. I just tried my first Cone, what a mistake that was!!!!! The ETSS line WAY out performs any Cone.
If Your Pump is too powerfull and not draining out of the Skimmer fast Enough, the Downdrafts are too full of water, not allowing any air to be pulled in= No Foam!
HTH!
-Wolfgang

When the Drain line is over Three Feet, you need to install a vent Tee, per Gary Pics on his ETSS 1000 on his Web Site. I have found you sometimes need it even with less. You Have way to many fittings on the output, causing back Pressure.
Finally, the water level is WAY too High in your skimmer!!!!! It should be only a bit over the Black Box.
I've used ETSS Skimmers for a very Long time. I just tried my first Cone, what a mistake that was!!!!! The ETSS line WAY out performs any Cone.
If Your Pump is too powerfull and not draining out of the Skimmer fast Enough, the Downdrafts are too full of water, not allowing any air to be pulled in= No Foam!
HTH!
-Wolfgang

Great post wolf,I was meaning to post about the same info as soon as i had a minute,beat me to it.

These skimmers work great when installed correctly.

Thanks for the info wolfgang, I will redo the output and make it as streight as possible with the vent and see how that goes. I can also install a blueline 70 pump if that may help?

Your Wellcome! If your Gate is all the way open, and the skimmer is that full, then yes install a Smaller Pump, or install a Ball valve on the Output of the Pump and adjust untill the correct water level is achieved.
The Vent helps when the skimmer fills and then Rapidly empties itself.
This thing will rock once you set it up correctly.
-Wolfgang

which pump do you run?

I use to run a Iwalki 100 on an ETSS 1500, and now I run a 1.5hp pump on an ETSS 5000. The Iwalki worked very well but could have even gone one pump higher on the ETSS 1500. I still think your pump is too weak, you need a pressure rated pump to force the water through the bio-balls at a high velocity (that is what creates the foam). My ETSS 5000 needs to pump 5000gph at 12psi (that is almost 30' of head). I'm sure your skimmer adds at least 10 feet of head. You should contact ETSS and find out what flow needs to be achieved at what head pressure and then size your pump accordingly.

I think this has kind of been done before in this thread but I'd really like to see some pics of the tanks along with the the ETSS skimmers that clean them. Not just the skimmers but your sumps and anything else you use along with it! Please post them if you have them!

Well I got it working a little better I changed pumps and went to a reeflo dart which seems to help but I agree it could use more power, I also changed the plumbing and that seems to help as well. But I am still not getting the foam I should be and it still shuts down after a sudden change in the tank. Such as the lights go off my auto top off kicks in anything that changes the water at all the skimmer shuts down.

BTW, Try placing your top off in another location so the fresh water is not immediately dumped into the skimmer. Any time you feed, insert additives, put your hands in the water - expect that result - loss of foam. This is true of most skimmers out there. You just happen to have one of the best IMHO

Back