ETSS 600 XR for sale w/ ETSS Auto Shut-off Waste Container

2 yrs old. No longer using. needd to sell. Located In Philadelphia PA

$250.00 Firm

Will ship add: $30.00

please email me at: ronhjr@verizon.net

Thank you, Ron

i currently run a etss 1000 on my sps setup and a reefdevel on my softy/lps tank and i love them both they use alot of energy but it is worth it since they do a great job

Angelfish, I've seen an Iwaki 20 RLT working wonders on a Reef Devil and Reef Devil Deluxe.

If you go on AETech's website (superskimmer.com) you'll see the pumps that are recommended for every ETSS skimmer sold. IMO, I would stay away from any of the submersible pumps. They're not pressure rated, and performance will suffer. ETSS skimmers have their pros and cons. Pros are they can process more water per hour than almost any other skimmer in their class, but that processing power comes at the expense of a true pressure rated pump that costs more to buy and operate. The bonus for using an external pump is that once it's plumbed in, the heat transfer to your display is minimized compare to a submersible. A definite plus with summer coming.

For the sump buddy - i had a mag 9.5 running it ...used all 6 bioballs and it skimmed great..try a high pressure pump...rio is not powerful enough...

I ran a mag 7 on my reef devil for a while, then went to a mag 9.5; much better. It skims better and takes less time to recover after feeding or sticking your hand in the tank.

i was running a mag7 on my sb40 with 4 bio balls for 6 months and i couldn't get the thing to skim anything remote close to black/dark form... mostly very light green color water... (choose a mag7 b/c gary @ aetech recommended it)....

spoke to gary recently and he told me to try the mag9.5 with 6 bio balls... i've been running the new setup for 3 days now... i see a lot more bubbles but nothing yet.. can somebody tell me whats i am doing wrong lol... i'll post some pics later tonight

Angelfish, I've seen an Iwaki 20 RLT working wonders on a Reef Devil and Reef Devil Deluxe.

thanks for the info Alex. I have an extra sump which i may eventually have someone drill so i can use an external pump. In the interim im going to borrow a mag 9.5 from a friend. Hopefully that'll at least get the skimmer going.

I cleaned out the reeef devil last weekend and replaced the bioballs last night. Today the skimmer is working very well. Tons of foam in the column and collection cup. I guess sometimes a good cleaning and new bioballs helps. Hopefully it will continue until i get a bettor pump.

Good to hear your pulling out more of the nasties Angelfish! Drilling the sump is easy. Get a good diamond hole bit, go slow and you'll be fine. I've drilled many tanks and never had a break or crack. People tend to worry when they hear of drilling glass. Don't fret.

You can do this. Since you live in the wonderful Garden State, I could drill that bad boy for you if you're really worried about it.

Good to hear your pulling out more of the nasties Angelfish! Drilling the sump is easy. Get a good diamond hole bit, go slow and you'll be fine. I've drilled many tanks and never had a break or crack. People tend to worry when they hear of drilling glass. Don't fret.

You can do this. Since you live in the wonderful Garden State, I could drill that bad boy for you if you're really worried about it.

Thanks for the offer Alex, I'll let you know when I'm ready..whereabouts in Nj are you ? skimmer still doing pretty good..its alos recovering much faster after feeding. I could imagine what it will pull with an external(Iwaki) pump if its doing this well with a mag 7!!

thanks for that I was looking at the 40hd to try and keep within the 700-1000gph requirements, but if the blue line pumps make such a big difference then I guess thats what I'll go with...also think I'm going to buy one of their sumps so i can use one of these external pumps for the skimmer

Last edited:
Ok I am very confused. Some people seem to be way overkilling with these skimmers. I have a 180 Gallon and as per the ETSS website, the Sump Buddy 60 will handle up to 400gallon tank. Curious as to why some people are using such huge skimmers for such small tanks.

Sump Buddy 60 Series
Next Generation Downdraft Skimmer
Ultra Compact Design
Small in size, large in performance
Aquariums from 150 to 400 gallons

bump on whether or not a mag 9.5 would work just fine on a sump buddy 40....

and to answer danny...these skimmers are going to pretty much skim the water clean so on your 180 a sump buddy 60 would for sure work just fine, but I would still recommend using the 600 is you can just because that model seems to be the most popular, also be sure to use and external--pressure rated pump such as the iwake or blue line

Ok so I spoke to the ETSS people today and the guy said that yes it can handle up to even a 400 Gallon tank and that many people are overskimming when they use their oversized skimmers for smaller tanks. One thing he did stress is that I have to use an Iwaki 40/55RLT because with downdraft skimmers, head pressure is paramount. He said you cannot use any pump that cannot hold 25 lbs of pressure at the head as it will not atomize the fluid to create skimmate. So, basically he said all powerheads such as MAG and others are just not going to work as they cannot hold Head pressure. I will put a 40RLT on mine and see how it goes. I think we should be fine, if I dont feel its skimming enough, I will switch to something bigger.:fish1:

ETSS Reef Devil

ETSS Reef Devil

Here is my ?
I am setting up a new tank and letting it cycle I've set the skimmer to run for general testing ( using live sand and rock from previous tank)
i've got the water set right at the bottom of the up tube
and it seems when i leave the house the thing goes nuts and over fills my cup and collection bucket this has happend twice already
any ideals
thanks

my modded etss

my modded etss

here is my becket modded etss skimmer, the return valve is opened all the way and still fills the chamber with micro bubbles and skims great..
CIMG0006.jpg

Back