ETSS Skimmer Club!

Hello, need some advice on a ETSS 1400 purchase.

One is available used and from what I can tell, it looks like new. I don't have any experience with this skimmer and the size scares me. Is this too much of a skimmer for a 250 gallon reef setup. I don't have the tank yet, still in the planning stage. I think the price is pretty good, how does $500 sound? The skimmer was paired with a Iwaki MD70RLT, which is not included in the price.

Compared to what else is out there, is this a no brainer? Would like to hear about the pros/cons.

Thanks...

Last edited:
I RUN MINE WITH A 200 PANWORLD on a 150

RUNS MY ORP AROUND 400/420

To me its either a big dd or a nice big barr type beckett.

The overflow problem is best fixed with a large vent.
split the pipe with the same size run it a foot up in the air .

I think the ETSS 1400 is a good choice for your tank. You will not be disappointed.
For me the only drawback is the energy consumption, and the physical size of the simmer. But if you have room and don't mind the electric then dd's are great skimmers.

I'm thinking about getting a sump buddy 40 for my 120g cube. I currently run a EuroReef in-sump skimmer and it is drastically affected by the water level in the sump. An inch in either direction and the skimmer either stops skimming or the cup overflows.

Does the sump buddy 40 have the same issues? The water level in my sump will only fluctuate 1" higher or 1" lower max.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting a sump buddy 40 for my 120g cube. I currently run a EuroReef in-sump skimmer and it is drastically affected by the water level in the sump. An inch in either direction and the skimmer either stops skimming or the cup overflows.

Does the sump buddy 40 have the same issues? The water level in my sump will only fluctuate 1" higher or 1" lower max.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the ETSS skimmers need a constant water level also but IMO will out perform what you have at any level.A dam incorporated into the sump will easily create a constant level in the sump providing the return pump is mounted on the opposite side as the skimmer.You can use acrylic and make a DIY Dam that makes the water level stay at about 8 inches or so for best performance.No more then about 10 to be safe

waking up this thread.

i have an 800 using a mag 18 pump, also tried mag 12...not enough skimming!!! water level is way above the suggested 1-2" above black box. have anyone tried a little giant 5 pump? i have one lying around, might be too powerful. i don't want to have to drill
another hole into the sump if not necessary. but will use external pump if helps my clear up my tank. the water is yellow now.

Have you tried giving all the bio-balls a good cleaning? Changing the number of bio-balls in the towers? Made sure that the air feeds are not clogged with salt creep?

bio balls are brand new. they're 6" spacing to top. water level is same as sump, so it's pretty high. intake/outtake open full blast. skimmer been cleaned inside out. i'm using 10 Lee large bio balls joined together...like a stick\train

I've used Lee's bio balls with no problems. I think you need to switch to a pressure rated pump, the bigger the better.
Recommended Pump size: 40 RT or full range 55 RT Iwaki

You should also put the skimmer on a stand so it is raised above the water level in your sump.

waking up this thread.

i have an 800 using a mag 18 pump, also tried mag 12...not enough skimming!!! water level is way above the suggested 1-2" above black box. have anyone tried a little giant 5 pump? i have one lying around, might be too powerful. i don't want to have to drill
another hole into the sump if not necessary. but will use external pump if helps my clear up my tank. the water is yellow now.

Mag drive pumps are not pressure rated and are not near what that skimmer needs. On the other hand the Little giant is just too big for it. You need a pressure rated pump for 1000 to 1100 gph with a max head of 26 to 28 ft.

As mentioned in the previous post, you will need an Iwaki 55 RLT or the equivalent Panworld 150PS which is cheaper.

Enjoy!

ETSS 800 Gemini

ETSS 800 Gemini

I recently purchased a etss 800 Gemini on here and was curious; what's different about the Gemini models vs the "regular" models ?

I was thinking of running ozone in my sps reef and wanted to know how many of you run ozone directly into the ETSS air intake. Any advice/suggestions. I have an extender tower on my 600 XR and run it off a Blueline 55hd. Pulls a lot of gunk...just looking for that little extra something that ozone can deliver.

Hey guys here is mine. I think it is an older 600 but not really sure??? I plan on plumbing it external I just have to work up the guts to drill my sump. This is only a couple minutes after setup it needed a little more tunning but now the waste water is much darker
DSC_7825.jpg

DSC_7822.jpg

DSC_7815.jpg

Other than the $200 difference between ETSS 800XR and ETSS 700 Refugium. What makes the 800 better than the 700. Tank size seems to be equivalent.

So I have noticed this guy will be trucking right along and then the bubbles will collapse. If I just leave it alone everything comes back but it takes hours. Anyone know why it does this?

Back