ETSS Skimmer Club!

A dc10000 or its clones is a great pump for the 500.
You have different speeds so you can easily adjust
for different situations and dead quit.

Nano, use less balls for a smaller pump. Example is on my 600 was running 22 balls when I ran the iwaki 40 pump wanted to save energy so put on the iwaki 30 pump and ended up with 13 balls being perfect. Have also found can't just use any balls Gary supplies balls that have points on the edges. Just seems to be a little problem finding Gary these days. Urgh

Thanks mwb problem solved I got rid of half the bioballs an hour ago and the foam head is steady creeping up I guess I had too many sweet can't wait to see what kind of crud this thing pulls out running at full capacity I may have to up my bioload eventually. Glad I found this thread. Is there a smaller skimmer than the 500 that I have I'd like one for my 24"x24x18 cube.

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Sent from some device using some app

Have also found can't just use any balls Gary supplies balls that have points on the edges. Just seems to be a little problem finding Gary these days. Urgh

mwb32, The black bio balls that came with my 600 from Gary look like the same ones I got from BRS.

Nano, the sump buddy 40 is the smallest and it's really hard to find right now with ETSS in an ownership change of direction. Great skimmers hope they become available on the retail market again.

Nano, the sump buddy 40 is the smallest and it's really hard to find right now with ETSS in an ownership change of direction. Great skimmers hope they become available on the retail market again.

Me too I would live one for my next setup in the next few months.

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Sent from some device using some app

Has anyone used the various weldon's to try to repair major breaks, although they are clean breaks, to parts on the five and six foot models. Such as the downdraft/bioball tube snapping at the base and or the mixing column where it meets the base? If so was it a success or waste of time/money
TIA!!

Does anybody know what model is this
2u8avajy.jpg

Hey all, I am setting up a new 110g tank with a SB40. I got it almost new with the aquarium I got but I need to know about how many bio balls to use. The little info I get can get online is confusing. I received 11 mini balls with it but the guy I got it from was vague about it. He just said he ran it just a little to see how it worked then went back to an old skimmer he had. Any pointers on setting this up. Online it says 2-4 large balls or 4-6 mini. Then another place it says 8-10m mini. I am going to be using a dc pump advertised at 3000lph (825gph). It probably is a bit weaker than that.

Its all about the Pump with these skimmers and matching the appropriate amount of Bio Balls. Please note that on my SB40 I replace the Bio Balls once a year. The pump that you are talking about I would put on par with say the Mag 9.5 that I received from Gary with my new SB40 Gary had put 6 of the small (1 inch) bio balls to match that pump. After a few days of running the SB40 with that skimmer I just wasn't happy with the results. The skimmer built foam up but I was used to my 600 skimmer running a HP 40 Iwakie pump so this was a disappointment. Had an external HP 30 Iwakie pump and kept the same 6 bio balls and installed it and that SB40 just spits out the junk. I can fill a milk carton every week on my 100 gallon tank only running the skimmer 8 hours a day. Keep in mind these skimmers really run best with HP pumps and they are dialed in best with what is know as a wet foam. Your skimmer will work fine with your pump and 6 bio balls but if you can get a HP external 30 pump and watch it rock. The problem with putting a bigger internal pump to drive this skimmer is the heat that is generated.

Its all about the Pump with these skimmers and matching the appropriate amount of Bio Balls. Please note that on my SB40 I replace the Bio Balls once a year. The pump that you are talking about I would put on par with say the Mag 9.5 that I received from Gary with my new SB40 Gary had put 6 of the small (1 inch) bio balls to match that pump. After a few days of running the SB40 with that skimmer I just wasn't happy with the results. The skimmer built foam up but I was used to my 600 skimmer running a HP 40 Iwakie pump so this was a disappointment. Had an external HP 30 Iwakie pump and kept the same 6 bio balls and installed it and that SB40 just spits out the junk. I can fill a milk carton every week on my 100 gallon tank only running the skimmer 8 hours a day. Keep in mind these skimmers really run best with HP pumps and they are dialed in best with what is know as a wet foam. Your skimmer will work fine with your pump and 6 bio balls but if you can get a HP external 30 pump and watch it rock. The problem with putting a bigger internal pump to drive this skimmer is the heat that is generated.

This is good advice. Had an old Reef Devil II and then an SB-40. Was never happy with the performance using a Mag 9.5 on either.

I have a mag 9.5 that I hooked up to this skimmer and even with the gate open and 2-11 balls it would fill the cup in minutes. I hooked up my dc pump and had to turn it down to 70%. I now have nice even foam . I don't have much bioload yet so I don't expect much production. Does anybody know if there is a difference in the sb40 and the newer deluxe model that it requires less pump? This one seems like it can't handle a 9.5

Only Gary could tell you if he made changes to the Sb40. Sounds to me that you are dealing with a new tank and that alone can cause a skimmer to go wild. Check that you have nothing blocking the exit and then just let it run. If you can put 2 to 11 balls and it's foaming at will them you have to run it and see how it's goes. that instance you describe is not reflecting a dialed in skimmer.

Sb40

Sb40

Hey all, I am setting up a new 110g tank with a SB40. I got it almost new with the aquarium I got but I need to know about how many bio balls to use. The little info I get can get online is confusing. I received 11 mini balls with it but the guy I got it from was vague about it. He just said he ran it just a little to see how it worked then went back to an old skimmer he had. Any pointers on setting this up. Online it says 2-4 large balls or 4-6 mini. Then another place it says 8-10m mini. I am going to be using a dc pump advertised at 3000lph (825gph). It probably is a bit weaker than that.

I ran one for almost two years on my 90, I ran a mag 9.5 with 7 small bio balls. Was very happy with the nasty skim I was getting.

hey guys... I got an ETSS reef devil from a buddy and haven't had the success I was hoping it would have. after reading about it I realize he didn't have bioballs in it... where do I put them? in the down draft or just in the bottom area?

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Back