ETSS Skimmer Club!

I have the 800XR powered by an Iwaki RLT70 on a 200g and I could only be happier if the Iwaki was quieter LOL It's in the fish room and with the door closed it's barely perceivable in the living space. Other than the sound of the Iwaki, the skimmer is a beast. However it would be nice if it were as quiet when it's off for cleaning :) I may try a Jeabo 12000. I have one for the tank return and it is very quiet. I think it might provide enough oomph ( technical term :) ) to produce foaming action for the ETSS.

:fish1: I also have the 1500XR on a 600 gal. system using a Iwaki 100 RLT to run it, I keep the water about an inch or so above the black box in the riser tube and it produces a very thick foam. These are the best skimmers on the market, it's to bad they went out of business. :fish1:

ETSS Skimmer Club!

Cool back story. I think your set up is great, if it works it works. I have the Proten system 400, that includes a reef devil. He custom made it to fit my stand at the time (70 gallon bow front) and it's been great. The neck of the skimmer was shortened, now I have a bigger tank/stand and it would be great it he could make an extension for it now. Do you have his #?

No, sorry but the only number i used was what was listed on the web page. Before i ordered the 1500 it had been years since i last contacted him. He must be in his mid-sixties by now. Guess he is wanting a warmer climate.

No, sorry but the only number i used was what was listed on the web page. Before i ordered the 1500 it had been years since i last contacted him. He must be in his mid-sixties by now. Guess he is wanting a warmer climate.

Maybe I can get someone to custom make a extension for me. Add about 2-4" and I think it would be more efficient since I had him reduce it to fit my last stand. I barely had room to remove the cup in that stand.

ETSS Skimmer Club

ETSS Skimmer Club

Maybe I can get someone to custom make a extension for me. Add about 2-4" and I think it would be more efficient since I had him reduce it to fit my last stand. I barely had room to remove the cup in that stand.

Well if Gary really is gone for good then you can always modify it yourself. Just find the solvent that dissolves acrylic glue ,(pretty sure he had his own formula that he used as glue). Then look for the acrylic tube the same size, either clear or black and order a length. Then all you need to do is remove the old, modify the bottom and cut to the size you want. You must realize though that modifying any part of the skimmer will effect how the rest of the skimmer works.

You'll also need a needle applicator for the acrylic glue as it will prevent an ugly mess. Using a point application like that you'll see the glue get sucked right into the seam. Bring it outdoors after and fill it with fresh water for an hour for a leak test.

Well if Gary really is gone for good then you can always modify it yourself. Just find the solvent that dissolves acrylic glue ,(pretty sure he had his own formula that he used as glue). Then look for the acrylic tube the same size, either clear or black and order a length. Then all you need to do is remove the old, modify the bottom and cut to the size you want. You must realize though that modifying any part of the skimmer will effect how the rest of the skimmer works.

You'll also need a needle applicator for the acrylic glue as it will prevent an ugly mess. Using a point application like that you'll see the glue get sucked right into the seam. Bring it outdoors after and fill it with fresh water for an hour for a leak test.

I'll have to make an extension. I can not take my skimmer out, this is the Protean 400 system and the skimmer is built into the sump refugium. I think I could to it, maybe. It has to slip into the top of the skimmer tube and into the bottoms of the cup while maintaining a consistent interior diameter for a smooth bubble column.

Well Good Luck Bif. I know he sold extensions for his larger models but, the one you have he came up with long after i was gone so i know nothing about it.

Hey guys,...I'm getting a loud whine from my iwaki rt100. I just took it apart and everything looks ok. I'm not sure if its the rear bearing or what I can't quite pin it down. Anyone have experience or advice. Thanks in advance,---Rick

never had an Iwaki that didn't start talking after three years . When I run the motors without the pump parts on its seems normal. champion sells the pump end separate maybe they are on to something. Anybody put new pump end on an Iwaki and if so did the pump quite down ?

Thanks 32,...I think the whining noise is coming from the rear bearing. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it,...it was really gunked up as I have never did any type of maintenance to it(they come apart really easy) put it back together and still have the whine. I bought it from Champion, checked my receipt,....1998 running 24/7 so I'm pretty happy with Iwaki. I just ordered a pair of bearings from McMasterCarr, 10 bucks:D
I found this thread here on RC to change bearings,...it is very clear on how to, and should hold true for anyone that needs to change out their pump bearings no matter what motor they are using.:thumbsup:---Rick

The link>http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886049

On a side note did I see a few posts back that AETech closed their doors?
Been using my 1400 since 98 also,...great skimmer!

Yep. Shut down unfortunately. I have used multiple different ETSS in the past but recently picked up a 1400XR. Loving it, I just need more bio load!!! My 225 should help with that ;)

Don

Yeah,...as I posted, I bought mine in 98, has always worked great,...wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Surprised someone didn't buy the design and keep making them. The name has been out there for a long time.---Rick

Hi...quick follow up,....changed the front and back bearings as prescribed in the thread link,...went real easy! Now I have my $450 Iwaki rlt100 running like the day I bought it.:bounce3: Any questions,....ask!---Rick

Anyone know a high pressure pump stronger then my iwaki 100rtl I'm loo king around 2500 gph at least. Mine was working fine with tubing but snails kept coming in my sump and would get caught in the tubing so the hose would go flat trying to suck water I had to chage the hose twice because of this so I switch to PVC piping and now the pump is not as strong to work the skimmer I like

You may have inadvertantly reduced the pump pipe diameter. An Iwaki 100 needs at least 1 1/2 inch dia piping inlet and outlet with preferably 2" dia inlet even if the pump connections are 1". Use reducers right at the pump.

That's what I have on mine,...might even be 2" out of the sump and then reduced at the pump inlet,...and of course I have a shut off valve and a union at the pump so I can remove it. They came in handy in changing the pumps bearings as I noted a few posts back :thumbsup:

Back