ETSS Skimmer Club!

Hey folks!

I have had ETSS skimmers in the past, I have run an ETSS 600 and 800 and loved them. I recently picked up an ETSS 1400 XR. I hooked it up with an Iwaki 100RLT (The max recommended pump) and it blew the nozzles off of the injectors! When I run it wide open, the water level is almost 18 inches or so up in the neck. Is this typical with the Iwaki 100 and 1400 XR? Do I need to add more bioballs? I haven't pulled them and counted yet. They are about 8 inches from the top of the towers. I have to dial the 100 way back. I have seen others running the 1400 with the Iwaki 100 and say they loved it. Is the 1.5" gate valve and bulkhead big enough for the 100?

Thanks in advance!

Don

Hey folks!

I have had ETSS skimmers in the past, I have run an ETSS 600 and 800 and loved them. I recently picked up an ETSS 1400 XR. I hooked it up with an Iwaki 100RLT (The max recommended pump) and it blew the nozzles off of the injectors! When I run it wide open, the water level is almost 18 inches or so up in the neck. Is this typical with the Iwaki 100 and 1400 XR? Do I need to add more bioballs? I haven't pulled them and counted yet. They are about 8 inches from the top of the towers. I have to dial the 100 way back. I have seen others running the 1400 with the Iwaki 100 and say they loved it. Is the 1.5" gate valve and bulkhead big enough for the 100?

Thanks in advance!

Don

If it is pumping that hard and I'm sure it is then you could add more bio balls, is your gate valve opened all the way up? How long has the skimmer been running? At what level is the water when you just start it up before it stars foaming action? The water should be just at the too of the box or bottom of riser column.

If it is pumping that hard and I'm sure it is then you could add more bio balls, is your gate valve opened all the way up? How long has the skimmer been running? At what level is the water when you just start it up before it stars foaming action? The water should be just at the too of the box or bottom of riser column.

Wide open, true water level without foam is the 18 inch mark :) I just set it up so it hasn't settled in yet, but I was surprised at how far up in the neck it was. Gate valve wide open on the output. Around 12" rigid PVC after gate valve. No elbows or 45s. I have never replaced bio balls in these guys. Is there a particular brand or type I should look for to add/replace them?

Thanks!

Don

I think BRS has the exact same ones the skimmer was designed with in mind.

Ok found them: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-bioballs-1-gallon.html

What is the 18" mark? Is that the suggested level labeled on the skimmer? If so disregard that completely, you have a larger pump!

Is this skimmer in sump, external? I think you should get the water level much lower until it is broken in. You could flood if it's set to high. If you can post some pictures I could help better.
Adding more balls will help some as it will draw less air.

ETSS Skimmer Club!

I think BRS has the exact same ones the skimmer was designed with in mind.

Ok found them: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-bioballs-1-gallon.html

What is the 18" mark? Is that the suggested level labeled on the skimmer? If so disregard that completely, you have a larger pump!

Is this skimmer in sump, external? I think you should get the water level much lower until it is broken in. You could flood if it's set to high. If you can post some pictures I could help better.
Adding more balls will help some as it will draw less air.

I should have been more clear. There is no "mark" :) It was sitting at 18" above the top of the box, where I have run my 2 previous etss. I already valved the output of the pump back so I wouldn't have a flood. I might go to a smaller pump. We shall see. I'm going to keep it valved back for now and let it start skimming before I change anything. Thankful for the help though! Keep it coming!

I'll try to take some pics later. Time for bed :)

Don

If you can not lower the level any further without restricting the pump then I would do it. But like I said adding more balls will draw less air this dropping the water level some. You have had other large ETSS before so you would know how they work that's all the advice I have. That pump is a beast and maybe you would just as good with the 80 not restricted and less balls for more air mixed. Really I think you should just let it run like that for a whole week before making any adjustments. The skimmer will be changing over this period so best to just leave it. Is this on a new system?

If you can not lower the level any further without restricting the pump then I would do it. But like I said adding more balls will draw less air this dropping the water level some. You have had other large ETSS before so you would know how they work that's all the advice I have. That pump is a beast and maybe you would just as good with the 80 not restricted and less balls for more air mixed. Really I think you should just let it run like that for a whole week before making any adjustments. The skimmer will be changing over this period so best to just leave it. Is this on a new system?

This system has been running about 9 months or so with some rock that is from a 2 year old system. I don't plan on making any changes now, that is certain. I am going to watch it. It was starting to look like it might start making a foam head this morning. I have been running another needlewheel skimmer on this system since its inception, so it hasn't been completely unskimmed. It doesn't have the raw power that the ETSS does, thats for sure! My pH has already stabilized, which was one of the reasons I made the jump back to a downdraft skimmer.

I can't wait for this thing to take off!

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get ahold of the owner of the now shutdown ETSS? I am looking for the 5 Gallon Bucket Waste Collector lid they made.

Thanks!

Don

This system has been running about 9 months or so with some rock that is from a 2 year old system. I don't plan on making any changes now, that is certain. I am going to watch it. It was starting to look like it might start making a foam head this morning. I have been running another needlewheel skimmer on this system since its inception, so it hasn't been completely unskimmed. It doesn't have the raw power that the ETSS does, thats for sure! My pH has already stabilized, which was one of the reasons I made the jump back to a downdraft skimmer.

I can't wait for this thing to take off!

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get ahold of the owner of the now shutdown ETSS? I am looking for the 5 Gallon Bucket Waste Collector lid they made.

Thanks!

Don

I think he has dropped off the map as far as I know. Maybe you could post a wanted add in the wanted section of RC. If your skimmer has flooded yet I think your ok because that is my only concern that you don't have ability to adjust the water level any lower other than putting more head pressure on the pump and that may not be good for the skimmer performance though it may not.

I will have to post over there and see if I get any bites. I am just thinking out loud and in advance here. I have to run the 1.5" gate valve wide open to keep the water level at anything reasonable and valve my pump way back as I have stated before. Would there be any value in throwing in a 2" bulkhead and gate valve? I am just thinking that the 1.5" bulkhead/valve are a bit small for this skimmer. ETSS ran the 1.5" on the 600 too... 2 completely different beasts. Again, I am just thinking out loud, but thought I would bounce it off of the folks here.

Thanks!

Don

I will have to post over there and see if I get any bites. I am just thinking out loud and in advance here. I have to run the 1.5" gate valve wide open to keep the water level at anything reasonable and valve my pump way back as I have stated before. Would there be any value in throwing in a 2" bulkhead and gate valve? I am just thinking that the 1.5" bulkhead/valve are a bit small for this skimmer. ETSS ran the 1.5" on the 600 too... 2 completely different beasts. Again, I am just thinking out loud, but thought I would bounce it off of the folks here.

Thanks!

Don

I don't see any down side to that as long as you feel you are comfortable with drilling a new hole in the skimmer. I am assuming you would have too in order to accommodate the larger diameter bulkhead. Keep us updated. Maybe a few pictures!

Well... The 2" parts are on their way! I have decided this thing needs more room to breath! If nothing else, I get a greater level of control, even if I don't increase the outflow, but my guess is that I will. I will post some pics up before and after the mod. Very excited!

Don

Well... The 2" parts are on their way! I have decided this thing needs more room to breath! If nothing else, I get a greater level of control, even if I don't increase the outflow, but my guess is that I will. I will post some pics up before and after the mod. Very excited!

Don

Keep us updated!

He has PMed me, after getting it properly plumed and ditching the flex hoses it's doing great. I agree a video would be awesome!

Hi bif24701
Just been busy fine tuning my unit for a while now....
After reducing the amount of Bioballs and other tweaks it's doing much better.
My sump level is set to more than 2" above the black box. Topping of manually at this point to stay at max 1" above. That made a huge difference. I assume that with more pump head power one could compensate for a lot of the small tweak details, but there is not that much out there above an Iwaki 100.....??
Do you know why ETSS is advising not to pipe the drain upwards? I assume to prevent adding head, but I am draining directly into the sump, below the sump level, so this shouldn't matter in my case? The skimmer is inside the sump....

With the skimmer being inside the sump, the drain under the water, and toping off manually this will make tuning the skimmer more difficult as the water level inside the skimmer will fluctuate. I recommend changing that if possible. Raise is about water level, unless it's in a divided section of the sump. Glad to hear you got it going well now, I'm sure it's doing a super job.

Well, hard to tell where I am with this, as I cannot compare it against anything....
I have 4 90's plumed between pump and skimmer, excluding what is standard on the skimmer already and the drain has a 90 too :(((!!!!!
I will need to change this and the water level/ATO for the sump section the skimmer sits in, but this is a little bit of a mission and will take time.
Got it working way better than it was, but think that there should be more gunk coming out and there must be more to tweak. When I see what the other, smaller ETSS's skim out of way smaller tanks, this one here should go far more wild on a 1200G tank with a fairly high bioload.
I cannot find any reference or install instructions from ETSS about this skimmer. Any idea where to get this or who to contact? Are the ETSS guys vanished?? Strange that there isn't much on the web either...

Well, hard to tell where I am with this, as I cannot compare it against anything....
I have 4 90's plumed between pump and skimmer, excluding what is standard on the skimmer already and the drain has a 90 too :(((!!!!!
I will need to change this and the water level/ATO for the sump section the skimmer sits in, but this is a little bit of a mission and will take time.
Got it working way better than it was, but think that there should be more gunk coming out and there must be more to tweak. When I see what the other, smaller ETSS's skim out of way smaller tanks, this one here should go far more wild on a 1200G tank with a fairly high bioload.
I cannot find any reference or install instructions from ETSS about this skimmer. Any idea where to get this or who to contact? Are the ETSS guys vanished?? Strange that there isn't much on the web either...

My suggestion is to go here. It is an archive of the page and contains all of the PDFs and documentation from the original website.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140104054518/http://superskimmer.com/

Don

ETSS Skimmer Club! Reply to Thread

ETSS Skimmer Club! Reply to Thread

Hi guys :wavehand: This is my latest baby:

View attachment 275504

View attachment 275505

It's an ETSS 1500XR powered by an Iwaki 100 RLT and is an absolute monster. Gary stated that this skimmer and i believe this would apply to the 1400s, that the water level be maintained within the black box, 2" from the top. He stated that if you don't produce enough foam then....and what i read out of it that you system is not stocked enough or just not big enough for it.
The Iwaki 100 RLT will produce ALOT of foam and Gary recommended i use the taller neck which would then make my skimmer a 1500XR. Still, on my 400+ gallon system i have the water level 4-6 inches above the box and it produces LOTS of foam.
Now, i don't know if any of you attempted to go to his web page but it seems it has gone. Last i talked to Gary he had moved his shop from his factory back to his basement where his was working on them alone on a per call basis. I fear that he may now have closed his doors.
I remember back in the day when he had to goto court to fight for his Patent # as his then partners claimed it was THEIR invention when it was in fact not. I still have the ETS 600 with the PP# scribed on it. Now you can see the knock offs and look alikes as the competition was forced to make their own versions. I know this because when he was just starting in his basement with this awesome line of skimmers i was one of his employees and it was real fun seeing it all happen. :beer:

Cool back story. I think your set up is great, if it works it works. I have the Proten system 400, that includes a reef devil. He custom made it to fit my stand at the time (70 gallon bow front) and it's been great. The neck of the skimmer was shortened, now I have a bigger tank/stand and it would be great it he could make an extension for it now. Do you have his #?

Back