Ever have one of those days?

fitch4

So I come into school this morning, pockets full of zip ties to work on cleaning up the wire messes that my systems at the school have become. I have been cleaning the place up, getting ready for the FFM the last few weeks and things were looking great in all the tanks- frags growing all over the place. I had even brought my camera in to take some pics of some of the frags I have growing...
I look at my display tank in the back of the room and my beautiful gold hammer coral is all pulled in- hmm thats odd... I go back to look more closely and notice that a ton of corals are all pulled in- not too much looks happy. Most of my SPS frags are all showing signs of bleaching out, tissue all pulled back, no PE. I have so many frags growing I had to add extra racks to fit them all, but now it looks like I may lose them. Stuff looked great yesterday, looks like crap this morning.
I have no idea what happened. Did a water change and hopefully that helps but as we all know, reef problems come up fast- fixing them takes time. Wish me luck!
Not what I had in mind for this morning....

Pretty much. The frustrating thing is that I have been really working on keeping the tank happy for the last few months and things were doing great and I have no idea what happened... Tough to fix it if I don't know what the cause is.

I assume you broke out test kits? Checked any dosing equipment? stray voltage?

I'm sure you know all this but just trying to cover some bases. Sorry to hear...good luck!

Ca, Alk, pH all looked fine. Shut off the dosing pump, but I am just dosing 2 part so that should not be an issue. Unless something strange got into the tank (I do work in a high school...), I got nothing. I threw a power filter on it and am running carbon to try to clean the water as best I can.

Definitely stinks! Hopefully everything bounces back. If not Nichole and I will gladly donate some frags to the school tank for FFM. Just let us know.

Wow, sorry to hear about your tank. It's especially difficult when you don't know what went wrong. I would check with the janitor and find out if he used a new cleaner or did something different in the room. Hopefully, you can figure it out and save a few things.

I'd go with a near 100% water change in case someone put something in the tank. Look for pennies. Carbon is a good idea so continue that. Keep doing water changes maybe even daily to try and keep things happy. Also check your heater in case it failed or is flaking.

I looked for stuff in the tank. My kids are really good and I have never had any issues with things in the tank. I did a 25% change this morning and was thinking of doing another 10 this afternoon before I leave. The good news is that the custodians don't do much in terms of cleaning counters so it is not that, I hope...

So I come into school this morning, pockets full of zip ties to work on cleaning up the wire messes that my systems at the school have become. I have been cleaning the place up, getting ready for the FFM the last few weeks and things were looking great in all the tanks- frags growing all over the place. I had even brought my camera in to take some pics of some of the frags I have growing...
I look at my display tank in the back of the room and my beautiful gold hammer coral is all pulled in- hmm thats odd... I go back to look more closely and notice that a ton of corals are all pulled in- not too much looks happy. Most of my SPS frags are all showing signs of bleaching out, tissue all pulled back, no PE. I have so many frags growing I had to add extra racks to fit them all, but now it looks like I may lose them. Stuff looked great yesterday, looks like crap this morning.
I have no idea what happened. Did a water change and hopefully that helps but as we all know, reef problems come up fast- fixing them takes time. Wish me luck!
Not what I had in mind for this morning....

You day sounds like mine....but it happened to me yesterday. Left for work and everything looked fine....got home last night and found all of my colonies near dead. All levels checked out ok. No stray voltage. Did a 60% wc and things looked ok this am before I left for work. Didn't loose any fish just corals....

Good luck.

Yup, sounds very similar. Fish look good, most of the LPS look okay, the SPS look poor. I have water ready to do another change this afternoon.

Here is the update on my school system. I went in this morning to do a water change and things look a little better than yesterday. The LPS have opened up a little, and look a little happier. The SPS still look unhappy but have not gotten worse, which I guess is as good as I could have expected. I put a phosban reactor filled with carbon on the tank to try to pull out any other crap in the water. Hope for the best!

Last time i ran into this it was at the lutz tank someone seen the glass dirty sprayed windex and washed the tank i hit s call three hours after to the same thing your saying make sure no one cleaned the glass we also lost couple fish but was on a smaller system so you never know

Sounds similar. The fish and the soft corals all looks OK the whole time. The LPS corals looked very unhappy the SPS corals look like they were dying. My guess was something got into the tank. I'm just not sure what it was or how it got in there

Back