EvolutionZ's Floating Reef

Nice work! Love the rockwork.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GQMejOrC7vo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really loving your rock work. Have you had any troubles cleaning or reaching below the rock work? Would you change anything if you could do it again?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hi guys!

Its been half a year since i updated this thread, i've been really busy with my army life and had other priorities over reefing. the tank was often neglected but never forgotten, although i occasionally forgets to mix 2 part and the tank kH dropped all the way down to 4 (there was once it lasted a month at 4). i also stopped testing my water and eventually only did water change (10%) bi-monthly.. However, SPS were still growing like crazy but colors were never fantastic. Now that my army life is coming to an end, im getting my tank back on track and hopefully, one day, will be able to color them up nicely!

Some test i did this morning

kH : 7.8
ca : 300
mg : 1200
K : 370

i ran out of po4 hanna reagent so no way to check that... can see that my parameters are abit off other than the kH which i've been keeping a close look since the kH 4 saga. I also did a 20% WC with red sea salt, replaced way expired carbon & phosphate reducing media. i bought a tub of Aquaforest Phosphate minus to try out this time.

First off, i'll start with my pearlberry colony, bought it at a small palm size colony, im totally amazed at how big and how much it grew.. now its even bigger then my entire hand!

corals are also starting to grow out of the water.. ok mainly only this millie

frags turned to mini colonies and mini colonies turn to huge colonies..

so this was a photo taken 5-6 months ago..

and this is how my reef looks like now

thanks for viewing!

Here's some update! have been using Aquaforest Phosphate Minus for the past 2 weeks ( about 200ml in a filter bag), and the results are amazing! my po4 before placing the phosphate minus was 0.13ppm, and 2 weeks later it was down to 0.045ppm! i'd reckon if i had run a FR it would've been more effective. note that i feed heavily too (2-3 cubes frozen mysis daily).

Also snapped some colony photos;

my favourite pearl berry colony!

the ice fire beside is not dead, just lost its color! and its coming back

i have also done 2 10% WC with AF Probiotic salt, so far not much difference from my previous Red sea.. Well it must be some power salt if i want to see differences with just 10% WC!

Thats all for now, thank you for viewing!

Really loving your rock work. Have you had any troubles cleaning or reaching below the rock work? Would you change anything if you could do it again?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you! no troubles at all, i seldom siphon in the main tank anyway.. if i am able to redo, probably make it more depth and not so flat on top!

Still looking amazing!
WiTh all that growth, there must be a lot more weight on the shelf, does this concern you?
Considering where your alk was and all the other general neglect, the tank still looks fantastic.
Really nice job.. I can't wait to see what happens to it when you have more time on your hands.

Looking great[emoji106] thanks for the update

Thanks!

Still looking amazing!
WiTh all that growth, there must be a lot more weight on the shelf, does this concern you?
Considering where your alk was and all the other general neglect, the tank still looks fantastic.
Really nice job.. I can't wait to see what happens to it when you have more time on your hands.

Thank you! no issue so far, still rock solid! in fact at one point i was so desperate to catch a fish out i lifted the whole rock structure out along with the corals (the sps wasn't so big then, though).

Wow your tanks turning into a stunner! Let them grow, let them grow! :) Nice pearlberry too. Surprised things did fine with all that low, how fast did you raise it?

thanks sahin!

Piper27, thanks! i raise it by probably 1kh/day? i find that kh isn't really an issue with SPS so long it wasn't raised or dropped immediately.

I missed the previous update. Things looking fantastic. 4 KH ! :)

Are you still running 4 bulbs except for the burst of 2 hours when all 6 are on?

Last edited:
just saw your thread, wow you have some amazing colors and colonies in there.

i am amazed that your alk dropped all the way to 4 and stayed at 4 for a month and all your corals didnt die. if mine drops below 7 i seem to have a big swing in my corals if it is there for any longer then a day.

anyways your tank is amazing, youre good at taking pictures too! I am going for a similar floating reef in my new setup, can only hope i get somewhat similar growth except i started with real small frags so i have a little while to go. the PE looks great on all your pieces, great job!

Back