Experiences with starboard in your sps reef

The Saltman

Hi guys,

I was wondering who uses/has used white starboard for a bottom in their reef tank. I still like a white bottom for my tank, but my sand seems to be giving me a lot of problems with cyano. I only get cyano on the sandbed. I have very high flow in the tank, so I also have problems with sand blowing all over the place sometimes. Im thinking about switching to starboard. I keep a very thin layer of sand, so I wouldnt be losing much in depth of the bed, yet I would still keep the white look. I've never seen a starboard reef picture, so if you have any it would be appreciated. I would also like to know your experiences and opinions of it.

look into dosing bacteria for your tank, much cheaper than starboard and fixed the problem for me.

zeobac, MB7, and prodibio biodigest are a popular choice.

I have a "starboard" bottom and am quite happy with it. It's real function is just to offer a layer of protection between the rock and the bottom glass. It became 80% coralline encrusted within the first six months, so don't expect the white color to last. Once a week, I use a Tunze stream to blow off the rock and the detritus that collects at the bottom (no amount of flow seems to prevent this.) Having a plastic bottom makes this much easier than if I had gone with sand.

Edit:

Here is a picture of the starboard bottom about four months after it was new.

BBCoraline.jpg

Back