Exsequor's 45 gallon (mostly) soft coral reef tank (NO SUMP - ALL HOB)

exsequr,

Would love details on hang on growing algae for you. Pump, container, and light details would be great. I'm trying something similar and would like to leverage your experience.

BaltimoreFish,

I use the Finnex, hang on LED refugium kit. I have set it up with the two partitions instead of three. I have live rock rubble and chaeto in the first partition, then I've got the more delicate red and calypto species in the second partition. Had some issues with cyano gunk/sludge build up on top in it's earlier days, but it's around 2 years old now, and the different macro's I have grow really well in there.

I think it's been essential in my zoa growth. My main zoa colony has been known to "spit" 7+ heads in 1-2 weeks. And I think the H.O. refugium is actually advantageous over the typical sump refugium, as the micro fauna does not have to enter an impeller housing to reach the "DT".

Hope this helps.

Love what you did here. I've seen HOB setups for saltwater but figure it requires more of an upkeep. But definitely worth trying

Here's some rough pictures I snapped to show the zoa growth and fish growth.

The leather is also growing crazy, it's not fully expanded in the picture. It inflates and deflates on a weird timer/schedule; every couple days to every couple weeks. And then every now and then it'll shrink down and release a stringy-white mucus substance. Then it will look rough. Then it will all the sudden expand out full size and have all polyps out and look great. Interesting corals.

Also the clowns always have a cluster of red-pink eggs now. They've been a pair for over a year now but it's only been the past few months I've noticed that they always have a 3x3" (or so) spread of eggs attached to the glass on their corner of the tank.

I'll post up some pictures and video of them. First time since I've done this hobby that I've actually had a "productive" mated pair like these two. Funny how they started the same size, and yet now the female is 4.5" and the male might be 1.5" :lol:

June 2018 update:

Clownfish breed every 7-8 days like clockwork. It's really cool to see.

I've had every fish in this tank for 3-4 years now. All doing great.

My most exciting update is with my Yellow Devil's Hand Coral. I got it as a relatively small frag, and now it is larger then a football (about 16x12x10" or more when it's fully expanded).

The girls, my 4-5 year olds LOVE the tank, and engage in it constantly trying to feed and help and learn.

IMG_2855.jpg
[/url]

Back