Extended Hammer Coral

While I used the prime in a quarantine it could be dosed in a display tank. According to the bottle it would detoxify nitrite and ammonia without interfering with the cycle. Aside from doing frequent water changes daily for a while I don't know what else would work.

I know Aquarium Village has prime as well. When they tested the water they suggested the other stuff but I will check with them in the morning. I have some salt water ready to go so I can start changing some out each day but would that interfere with the cycle or the bacteria that I have already put in there?

Maybe they thought that's what would help most and that your biological filtration was further along. My feeling is that your tank is going to continue to climb in numbers with both ammonia and nitrite. You need to detoxify it and its my feeling that removing ammonia and nitrite through water changes at this point will slow your cycles progress.

On a side note I'm guessing you're referring to aquarium village on long island? I've been trying to go there for months and I think I'll finally have a chance this weekend.

Yea I have gotten my two snowflake clowns, goby and pistol shrimp and an acan from them. They are my favorite place on the island to go even if they are a half hour away.

Would you suggest getting the clowns out of there for a while until the tank fully cycles? The tank has been running for 9 weeks now and I only put my stock in it about 2 weeks ago and the clowns were the newest addition. I honestly had thought the tank had cycled. Before I put anything in there there were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Then this week everything is out of control.
My pistol shirmp and goby are doing great
My hammer is doing ok... after its fall in the sand the other day.
My acan is doing awesome already have 3 new heads
The clowns are good they are eating but the little one acts weird at night after the main lights go off. He kind of before going to sleep swims to the top of the tank in the corner and hangs out. It just worries me because he doesn't do that during the day but he seems to do it every night.

If the cycle really is going to happen full swing it could be very stressful and potentially fatal for any livestock in there. Clowns are often quite hardy but it would be ideal if the tank was without inhabitants until it finishes. If you have the means to do so then by all means remove what you can. If your options are limited something like prime may be your best bet.

If the cycle really is going to happen full swing it could be very stressful and potentially fatal for any livestock in there. Clowns are often quite hardy but it would be ideal if the tank was without inhabitants until it finishes. If you have the means to do so then by all means remove what you can. If your options are limited something like prime may be your best bet.

So I called Aquarium Village today. Then I stopped in. They recommended that I do another partial water change and to add in 16 oz of Microbe-lift Special Blend. So I just did that, we will see how it goes. Once again, my house smells like farts.....

Love the clowns. I want one like that to take the place of the female I lost a few months ago. Hopefully the one I get will pair with mine.

Hammer looks like its got decent polyp extension. Hard to tell on my phone.

no its actually pretty receded. I have adjusted the vega for tomorrow. I had them on 60% and the hammer is half way up. I after speaking with AV I lowered it to 25%. Ill leave it there for a few days and see how it does.
The clowns are awesome....

Here is a pic of all 3 of them....

IMG_20121229_152922_811_zpsfdcd9e7f.jpg

I think one like yours would make a nice pair with the remaining one. If you don't mind telling what was the cost per clown?

They are called Sanjays midnight black photons. They are a hybrid of a black ocellaris and an onyx percula.

I got them from live aquaria. Lost the female and almost the male a few months ago. He was in rough shape.

IMG_20130128_212137_084_zps18c1f739.jpg

Well I added the other set of bacteria in on friday and the levels went down by sunday. The store also told me to lower the light levers which I did. The hammer still seemed to be closed on and the acan on the lower section seems to be big and puffy from not enough light. So my big idea was to swap the position. To put the hammer in the lowest spot and the acan a little further up. With the lights on 25% i figured why not give it a shot.
Well here is where the issue came in. I guess my pistol shrimp has been doing a lot of work because as soon as I touched the rock the hammer was on quite a few of them shifted and a few fell. I got the 2 corals out of the way which was good and no one was crushed with is what I was most worried about. The issue was that I have to remove some of the rocks out of the tank to rebuild the structure. They were out for about 5 mins, I got everything secured and put back. Got the corals where I wanted them and now were ok... I think.... Im done messing with it, I think I causing more harm then good so I'm going to give it a couple weeks without touching a thing.
The funny part was once I got everything set back up the pistol shrimp comes out of his hole pushing sand like why did you break my home....

Any update on how everything is doing?

So tonight it was even worse. I have no idea what happened but when I went to open the door of the stand to feed everything today the rocks came crumbling down again. This time my hands weren't in the tank to grab or guide them. Almost everything fell other then the base stuff. I worked as quickly as I could to get everything set back up but again the rocks had to come out of the water. The rock that my acan was on fell flat in the sand with the acan under it. I had to fish the acan out of the sand. He looks ok but I dont really have high hopes for anything at this point. When the rocks fell they just missed my hammer by about a 1/4 of an inch so hes ok I think. My clowns are so stressed that they would even eat and were biting me as I was trying to put the rocks back. The dottyback is fine as well as the goby and shrimp. I used an entire tube of epoxy to secure the rocks in place this time. I dont want that to ever happen again but at this point I am so frustrated I dont really know what to do....

Yeah, aquascaping can be hard to get to your liking while also being stable. I think as long as your water parameters are OK that last bit of stress from the rock slide will hopefully be minimal. For now I would go lights out(if you haven't already). Most everyone in this hobby has been at this point, I know I have been. I lost my previous tank 6 years ago because my AC went off (I think during a brown out) while I was working a 13 hour shift. I came home and passed out. Next day I went over to my tank and it was cloudy and already smelled. Everything dead. Dumped it all and quit the hobby... Till 5 months ago. Its great to be back.

Just keep at it, keep learning, constantly research, and do your best to maintain these little ecosystems that always seem to be potentially on the edge of disaster. Its so rewarding when things go well.

Thanks for the advise. I am really enjoying it but it is very frustrating at times. I have been trying to do all the right things but I feel like its out of my control sometimes. Today I was just standing there as the rocks fell and there was nothing I could do about it... It really sucked...

Yeah, aquascaping can be hard to get to your liking while also being stable. I think as long as your water parameters are OK that last bit of stress from the rock slide will hopefully be minimal. For now I would go lights out(if you haven't already). Most everyone in this hobby has been at this point, I know I have been. I lost my previous tank 6 years ago because my AC went off (I think during a brown out) while I was working a 13 hour shift. I came home and passed out. Next day I went over to my tank and it was cloudy and already smelled. Everything dead. Dumped it all and quit the hobby... Till 5 months ago. Its great to be back.

Just keep at it, keep learning, constantly research, and do your best to maintain these little ecosystems that always seem to be potentially on the edge of disaster. Its so rewarding when things go well.

Back