External or Submersible DC return pump question

jessezm

Hey all, I have a question I could use some thoughts and opinions on. I am just getting back into the hobby after about 10 years and I see there are some new toys and methods out there... I'm sure I will have tons of questions but here's the one for this morning:

I am for a planning a 90 - 120g SPS display tank, and it will be several months before I get there, but in the meantime I am working on the fish room in the partially finished basement below. Down there will be the sump/filtration, a 45g frag tank (48" X 18" X 12") plumbed into the main system and a separate hospital tank. Also possibly a separate remote refugium.

I already have a sump - it's an Eshopps 300-Adv, which seems pretty well-built but the return section is a bit small (7" X 7.5"). In the past I have always externally plumbed a reeflo Dart return for its efficiency and low heat exchange, but these DC pumps look fantastic on both counts, plus they are contollable/variable.

My current dilemma is a friend will make me a good deal on a DiabloDC-10500. I want to set up the frag tank now, and was planning on making a manifold for that loop and tee-ing off the pump for future expansion and just running on low speed. But that pump doesn't fit in my return compartment.

So question: Should I wait till I find a good deal on something like a Varios 6, or should I plumb the Diablo DC 10500 externally? or think of another solution altogether?

If I go external, it expands my pump options, but it also means drilling this nice sump and more plumbing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have gone through multiple pumps from AC to DC because of heat transfer to the water running internally.
If you can external would be my choice.

Back