External Overflow problem..please help!

hipertec

I have a Americle Wet/Dry with matching external hangon Overflow. I converted the wet/dry to a sump with LRs and my return pump is a RIO2500.

I noticed that my overflow was not flowing fast enough where my level inside the OF was getting pretty high. I teared down the complete overflow and nuthing was clogged.

For two years its been running fine and how I have this worry. It seems like there is a clog where the U is not flowing fast enough and I cant seem to find the problem.

Is there a correct way to adjust the level of the barbs on the inside of the tank? what could be causing it to flow less?

PLEASE HELP!

Is the overflow pipe in the sump under water? If it is it might be causing backpressure on the line and slowing the flow. Both air and water must be able to exit freely.

SteveU

Steve,
No its a hangon that attaches to the back of tank. There are a box inside the tank and another one outside the tank and the "U" bend is right on the middle. From the outside of tank box, there is a box with a hose that goes to the bottom sump. No back pressure on this hose.

Pull out the U tube and clean it and then use some air line to restart the siphon. There is most likely some algea or air inn there.

thats the funny thing.. i did that and there was nothing clogged.

How do u know how high to put the inside box (the one inside the tank, since its adjustable)?

Also how are you guys restarting the siphon? Do you use a pump to push the air thru?

If the line to the sump is underwater it could produce backpressure. The lower the in-tank box the lower the water level will be in the tank.

To start the siphon I just use a piece of 1/4" airline stuck up into the highest part of the "U". Both ends must be underwater or you'll just suck air. So be sure both the inside box and the full-time flooding part of the outside box is full of water.

SteveU

Thanks Steve. The line to the sump is not underwater. It goes to a plate dispenser.

As for the siphon, so you just suck out the air in the "U" right?

Also so if I need the tank water to be lower, I just lower the in-tank box right?

As for the siphon, so you just suck out the air in the "U" right?
Yes... with as little SW in the mouth as possible. Once you plug in the pump if there's enough flow it should push the remaining bubbles/air over and out the backside.

Also so if I need the tank water to be lower, I just lower the in-tank box right?

Within reason... the lower the box the lower the tank water level will be since you're sinking the slots lower in the tank. It is possible to be returning more water than your u-tube size can handle but I can't give you a volume number with what I know now.

SteveU

Hey Charles, Your pump is rated for 782 gph. Most single overflows will handle about 500 to 600 gph. You might need to T into your return line to bleed off some of the flow back to the sump. I just swapped out a quiet one 3000 with a Via Aqua 2300 for the same reason.

Thats what I was thinking too..that my return pump was too strong...funny thing that it was running fine for the past two years?!?!
Might have to upgrade my overflow or downgrade my pump.

well, if you've been using it for the past two years then something has to have changed... pump could be pumping out more water somehow...

Try sticking a length of air line down the tube/pipe that goes down to the sump. This will suck in some air and may allow more water to drain as well. You will have to pull the air line in and out until you find the right position where it allows the most water down the tube as well as air.

Back