Favites Pentagonia question

ozman3803

I have this coral but thought it was also called a blastophyllia, but anyways it is doing great except on part of the coral it looks like it is melting and slimming down towards the sand. It sits in the sand and color and everything is great was just wondering if this is starting to just work it's way onto the sand since it's not sitting on a rock to encrust?

Theres no such critter as Blastophyllia; sure youre not thinking of Blastomussa?
"Melting" is rarely a good sign, though there are cases where it can lead to new satellite colonies. Ill be looking back for pics to see whats going on too...

well I have some pics but not sure how to insert them without starting a new thread so check out my gallery and let me know what ya think. also can anyone tell me what this green bubbly crap is growing in my tank, it's the first pic in my gallery. not the greatest pic but they seem to grow in bunches and hard to the touch.

The green bubbly stuff is Bubble Algae.

Your coral is Blastomussa wellsi. They tend to do best under subdued lighting, moderate to low flow, and fairly regular feedings (though they dont Have to be fed, they just do better if you do). Really nice colony of it too.

Well thanks, I've had it probably 8 months and been in the same spot and it's done well till a couple months ago I noticed this. I don't feed it and it has grown quite well. Thanks for the suggestion but just curious why after all this time this has happened. So this isn't something good then, I'm assuming.

Back