Feather Duster

josepha

I have a red and white feather duster that looks great, but my Hawaiian feather duster has shead his crown which was not looking great to begin with. I have read in some journals that this is a sign of stress and others that this happens regularly. He is pushing his worm-like body out about and inch or two and seems responsive i.e. retracting from signs of danger. Anyone have experinence with this behavior and is he a gonner?

backround

backround

Sorry, everyting else, (RBTA, other feathers, fish, all lps and sps, starfish) looks great and my calcium, Alk, nitrate levels are fine. My Red Sea xenia look great and are pumping like crazy, my xenia elongata don't look as good as the past. Doing a 20% water change tonight that I was due for next week anyway, any other advice? I have had one in the past that grew one back in a week and looked great, another that croaked within the week.
Thanks

The Hawaiian Dusters require a significant amount of food. If they don't get it they respond by dropping their big filter and creating a new smaller one. This saves them a small amount of energy.

This is fairly common. Just leave it alone and it will come out with a new crown.

Back