Feeding a geometric pygmy hawk

suta4242

I have two p.inermis in my QT. They are about 2 and 1.3cm in size.

I got them a week ago and the smaller of the two eats like a raptor (live brine and a little frozen mysis).

But I haven't seen the big one eat at all. They appear healthy - no flashing, spots etc.. I just think the bigger one is on a hunger strike.

What do other pygmy hawk owners feed their fish?

Should I try live amphipods to see if he's interested? :rolleyes:

cheers

Eklikewhoa

I had mine for about 2wks before I saw it actually eat.

All of the ones I saw in the LFS has sunken stomachs and the one I got was the best looking of the bunch. They were cheap and I really had to have it so I brought it home.

I feed a mix of NLS flakes, NLS pellets, Spirulina brine and PE Mysis all mixed and soaked in Kent Garlic Extreme. Now the only thing I have seen the little guy eat was the Mysis but it tears it up now!

falconut

I got mine before I started using a QT. He went right into my DT and dissapeared. I would occationally see him from week to week. It took him a few months, before he would come out regularly. He wasn't even coming out to eat. I asssume he was eatting pods.

He now comes out to eat and I can usually see him most of the time. He likes to eat frozen mysis and brine and sometimes he'll eat the prime reef flakes and hykari S pellets.

Does his stomach appear to be getting thinner?

suta4242

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14198516#post14198516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by falconut
Does his stomach appear to be getting thinner?

Yes.

Other than that he appears completely healthy. As I said no external signs of disease and he breathes at a normal rate. No flashing, spots etc...

I'm worried if he doesn't start to feed soon, he'll get to a point of no return. Theres plenty of pods etc in the main display but I can't risk the health of my established fish by releasing him prematurely.:(

I was wondering if bigger prey might entice him?:confused: I'm going to try rounding up some live amphipods. I bought them as a pair, and it'd be a shame to lose one to starvation.

cheers

suta4242

Yay! I just saw him take an amphipod:smokin:

I think he's been having a hard time adjusting to captivity and the barren QT.:rolleyes:

At this stage even if he only eats live food I'm happy. I can always wean him to frozen later!But he's still pretty thin so I hope he hasn't reached a point of no return:(

cheers

suta4242

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14214259#post14214259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dvmsn
Any signs of aggression?

No. Apparently they had about 10 of them in stock and these two were behaving more like a pair than any of the others. I think the retailer was fairly honest about this.

I've read all the old threads on p. inermis here and was a bit concerned about that too.:rolleyes: If it ever gets to a point where there is real aggression I'll have to rehome one. They'll be in quarantine for a couple of months as I'd like to grow them up a bit before they hit the display. So hopefully any disharmony will show up.

cheers

Gregsgsr

In Memoriam
I had one, but the guy would only eat Live food. A real pain. I tried multiple techniques to get him to eat. He is still alive gave him to my buddy. I think he eats like copepods in his tank because it has probably been a total of a year owning him. Still only eats live food though and he is to slow to keep up with the other fish in both of the tanks.

suta4242

Time for an update.:rolleyes:

At about 4 & 2.5 cm in size, they've grown a lot but are still too small for my DT.
Yesterday I transferred them from a small QT where they appeared to get on well, to my frag tank so they'll have a better environment and feast on the pods. They spend most of their time upside down under a small piece of LR.

However, there may be trouble in paradise. I just witnessed the larger one evicting the smaller from the rock. At first I thought it was a bit of dominance but I watched the big hawk bully the smaller fish into a nearby corner and he charged forward as though he was about to bite. :confused:

So I'll be keeping a close eye on the 'couple' in case they need to be separated. Must admit this really surprised me as its been 6 months since I bought them and this is the first time I've seen any aggression. :mad: