Feeding Snowflake Moray

Zephyrsue

Hello!

I have a new snowflake moray eel, and I've had him for about a week now. He's an absolute pleasure and loves by himself in my 55gal. He loves to dig burrows and swim around and watch me and it's amazing watching his behaviors. When I got him I asked the LFS what he was currently eating and they said shrimp. Great, I went to the grocery store and picked up some plain frozen shrimp and cut some bite sized pieces and thaw a few out of I'm gonna try and feed him. I have some spot feeding tongs and am ready to go. This morning, he SEEMED ready to eat- he was swimming around a lot and seemingly "œhunting" so I offered a piece of shrimp right next to him (as I had a couple other times over the past week) and he just seemed to shy away from the food. Any reason he might be rejecting food? Could he still just be stressed from the move? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? How long does it usually take for these guys to start accepting food?

Thanks!

It depends, also when was the last time it was fed? How big is it? Some eels can go quite some time without eating. I would try a variety of food to see if you can entice it.

My snowflake eats frozen krill. Loves it. I use tongs to get it close and he grabs it and hides to eat.

Also remember they have bad eyesite so you have to get very close with the food. Mine won't chase food if it floats away.

I feed mine every 3 days and seems to be happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure the last time it is that he has eaten, just when he was at the LFS. He’s approximately a foot in length. I did know about the poor eyesight thing, hence my tongs, but I can certainly try some krill and other foods.

He kind of seems afraid of my feeding tongs.... they're about as long as a hand and look like yellow plastic tweezers.

Do you have a skewer? Like for grilling or something? Usually you can see them catch the scent with their nose. You could try using garlic, but only to get it to eat, not long term

I’ll try a skewer.... do you mean like soaking some food in a bit of garlic? Would you use fresh garlic for that? I can certainly try it if that’s the case

Black mussel, live from food store, split open. My tanks gets one a day. They can't resist it. The thing my fish always liked least was shrimp.

Back